Symantec Systemworks replacement??

compumac 20:06 01 Mar 2007

I have been using Symantec Systemworks and its predecessors for the past fifteen - twenty years. I have now reached the end of my tether with the poor support from Symantec and after re-installing the programme and activating it so many times that they now state that I have exceeded the number of installations and will have to purchase new software. This is quite ridiculous as I obviously will still continue to have the same problems and I certainly do not intend to throw good money after bad!

After using System doctor for years I shall miss its displayed information – CPU usage (my PC does not show any lights for the CPU or disc drives functioning). Free space, Disc fragmentation, Antivirus and Ghost.

The question that I ask is there any other software that would give comparative coverage?

brundle 20:42 01 Mar 2007

Someting from here may fit the bill; click here

compumac 22:42 01 Mar 2007

Perhaps I could ask as to what tools do readers use apart from Antispyware and Antivirus?

skidzy 23:11 01 Mar 2007

Ccleaner click here to kick start the thread.No doubt you will have many replies suggesting others.

Basics for any pc are as follows:

Antivirus = AVG/Avast (one of)

Antispyware with realtime protection = Spywareterminator

Spybot search and Destroy

Spywareblaster

Adaware SE

And of course ccleaner.

These few programs will look after any pc if used correctly and updated regular.

All these are free,there is no need to have subscription based programs.....and of course,sensible surfing.

compumac 12:12 02 Mar 2007

Thanks for that, but I do have all of those excepting the antivirus as Symantec antivirus is still in place at this time. I was thinking more of the tools that control such as fragmentation, a display showing CPU activity and suchlike. I see references to registry cleaning but I have have heard horror stories in respect of some of these. Anybody with thoughts on the merits of these?

Input Overload 12:32 02 Mar 2007

click here A free defragger that's XP & Vista compliant.

anskyber 12:32 02 Mar 2007

For defrag work Diskeeper is my choice, it just ticks away in the background. click here

For back up I use the excellent Acronis True Image. click here

For registry work I use Reg Mechanic. click here

I normally use Zonealarm security suite for AV, spyware and firewall but it is not available for Vista yet so I am using the free Avast AV.

Shortstop 12:39 02 Mar 2007

click here

It is a sidebar [!] but it can include System performance meters showing CPU, RAM, HDD, Swap File, etc depending on what you want. You can tailor it almost completely to your needs and it is a freebie.

Plus all the other little widgets are also good!

HTH

Psul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?