Symantec Security Results

Rhuddlan 19:40 22 Mar 2004

I have done a security test on the Symantec website and found that I am at risk of hacker exposure and trojan horse, it tells me in more detail that ports 80, 23, 1025 and ICMP Ping are all open and they shouldn't be, when performing this test in the past everything has resulted in safe, but since the website was updated, it has told me much different, shuld I be worried, I have NIS AND NAV 2003 installed , both updated and the latest XP Home and ie 6 updates, as well as ad aware 6 and spybot, also spyware blaster and there all updated, I thought my computer was at no threat at all, with all these security programs for hackers, viruses etc.
Am I missing something?

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:56 22 Mar 2004

You are only missing the blatant paranoia from Symantec. Wonder if they are about to release a new product? You are more then well protected and can surf safely. Just ensure that your AV is up to date. I wonder if they have stevegibsonitis?

G

GaT7 20:29 22 Mar 2004

As GANDALF says I wouldn't bother too much. IMHO if you're a normal homeuser you have nothing fear.

I have exactly what you have & ran the test this evening after seeing your thread. My PC failed 2 tests. Symantec's advice is "If you already have a personal firewall, make sure it is correctly configured for optimum protection." If you want to see if any ports are open as the test claims go into NIS Options & set the configuration to the Maximum for all, rerun the test & see what it comes up with. I'm going to do the same to see if it makes any difference.

sanpat 20:40 22 Mar 2004

Try click here and get another view I prefer this to the Norton scan.

sanpat

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:50 22 Mar 2004

Rather interestingly I have just completed the same Symantec scan and apparently the hackers are going to get me (my descendants and all Satan's merry imps) through IMG, 80 and 1025.......................I have not run a firewall for two years and only have AVG, no spybot and no spyware blaster and it would appear that I am better protected than someone with firewall et al. I call cobblers on this.

G

R4 20:55 22 Mar 2004

Symantec security tests show 'All Safe' on the same software it may be how you have set it up.
I have Browser and site info Blocked on the Global web content of the 'options'

You could try :- click here for a second opinion

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:56 22 Mar 2004

Okay scan of teh computer using Sysgate site from sanpat. may I cut n'paste.......
"We have determined that your IP address is 80.43.189.248

This is the public IP address that is visible to the internet.

Note: this may not be your IP address if you are connecting through a router, proxy or firewall.

Trying to gather information from your web browser...

Operating System = Windows XP
Browser = Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

Trying to find out your computer name...

Computer = GANDALF
Domain = WORKGROUP

Trying to find out what services you are running...

Unable to detect any running services!"

This has got to be the worst and lamest test ever. These utter rubbish 'tests' are just increasing the general paranoia and ill-conceived rubbish that is talked about security. remember, I am not running ANY firewall. I raise this site to cobblers + one.

G

sanpat 20:58 22 Mar 2004

I have run the same scan with and without the firwall enabled and get identical results.

BUT I must confess that I have a home network and sit behind a router so if the scans are to be believed a software firewall in my situation may just be window dressing. Good job it is a freebie

sanpat

GANDALF <|:-)> 20:59 22 Mar 2004

'so if the scans are to be believed a software firewall in my situation may just be window dressing'....;-))))

G

sanpat 21:08 22 Mar 2004

Isn't the english language wonderful.

sanpat

GaT7 21:09 22 Mar 2004

Two 'different' Symantec scans in quick succession came up with differing results!!!

On this Symantec Security Scan I failed on TWO aspects - click here

On this Symantec Security Scan I failed on only ONE aspect - click here

BOTH the above are genuine 'Symantec' sites - check them out for yourselves! At least the latter told me what to do to correct the problem (which seemed a false alarm anyway). The former only gave me a list of problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?