Symantec Security Check

LeadingMNMs 21:14 05 Jan 2004

I've just seen a link posted on this site and used it test my internet security. It came back and said that I had passed the Windows Vunerability Check and Trojan Horse check but had failed the Hacker Exposure Check and Antivirus Product Check. I am running the free ZoneAlarm and have AVG 6 (free again), so surely this shouldn't happen. The link is here click here . I'm also connecting through a router (no firewall) which should surely help.

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:16 05 Jan 2004

*cough* a very cynical person would say this was a little misleading.............You have MORE than enough protection, espeially with teh router.

G

LeadingMNMs 21:20 05 Jan 2004

Well, I thought so to. But I wouldn't have expected it to have said that I was at risk of viruses (AVG upto date) although I can't amagine anyone wasting time trying to hack my computer.

jimv7 21:31 05 Jan 2004

I have just tried this check and the results were....

Please note that the following checks were not able to complete because they require Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or higher with ActiveX and Scripting enabled:

Antivirus Product Check
Virus Protection Update Check

I am running ie6 through a adsl modem router with nat firewall, and avg, so these checks do not prove anything.

QQAA 21:50 05 Jan 2004

except for failing a security category called something like "Virus Check", which is TRUE, because I don't have any anti-virus tool running in my Windows XP (believe it or not) for more than a year already.

We should note that having the entire arsenal of security tools installed may not be a guarantee of internet safety if any of those software and hardware tools (with the added complications arising from specific Internet Explorer settings) have not been configured properly.

I think nowadays the Symantec security test site is reasonably impartial in its conduct of online testing.

We will get to see more lights on this episode if more people here could try out their online testing and shared their experiences with us.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?