Symantec renewal help

cheekybaldy2 11:54 13 Mar 2006

Just a simple question folks. I need to renew my antivirus and firewall software and can't seem to get a question answered from the Symantec website. My 2002 software subscription is no longer available to be renewed. Therefore I need to buy either the 2006 antivirus or the 2006 internet security with Ghost 10. The internet security has a firewall included so I'm a little confused as to what to do with my old one. Do I just purchase the internet security and install it. Or do I have to remove my old firewall first.

Cheers folks, I hope I've made things clearer than they are in my head

Belatucadrus 12:13 13 Mar 2006

If you download a replacement .exe installation file from the internet, first disconnect from the net, uninstall the incumbent AV, then run the installation file to install the replacement. Reconnect to the internet, update the signature files and run a full scan.
Have a look around the Symantec site for uninstallers as Norton sometimes has a scrappy uninstall that leaves residue scattered about the system.
As to the "Need to buy" if you're a non profit home user, you may prefer to buy, but there are a raft of free alternatives click here used by forum members that will do the job so you don't "need" to spend anything .
If you're a business user then unfortunately you don't qualify for the free versions.

Sibbo 18:46 13 Mar 2006

Norton Internet Security normally detects if you have an older product installed during installation and uninstalls the old version first. Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?