Sygate Firewall disappears/reappears

Skeletor 21:41 27 Nov 2003

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I installed Sygate Personal Firewall (free version downloaded from their website) as I seemed to be reading pretty regularly that Win XP Home's own firewall wasn't up to much. After the initial confusion about what I should allow access or not, everything seemed fine, until...2 days ago. While I was online I noticed that the firewall icon wasn't in the notification area (I keep all my icons visible). I clicked All programs/Sygate...no response! I rebooted... the icon had reappeared and everything was fine, but later on it had disappeared again. I checked my daughters account (Limited), the problem was there also.

I have a feeling that I should uninstall/reinstall, as I assume no icon!.. no protection! But wanted to check with you guys first that I haven't missed something. All settings are default.

If nobody knows the answer to the above problem, could someone recommend a SIMPLER but just as effective free firewall.

Many thanks

redtail 00:00 28 Nov 2003

I use sygate because i like the features that come with it but if you want a change try Zone alarm its free and well thought, of i used it for a long time before useing sygate and found it easy to use.

porci 00:08 28 Nov 2003

I had the same issues on and off. A re-install will solve the problem, but when it happened again( ie disappeared ) I looked in the task manager and sure enough the firewall was still running. The latest version doesnt seem to do this and I have had no problems with it disappearing for the last 4 months after a re-install. I prefer it to Zone Alarm to be honest, but its a personal preference

Skeletor 00:24 28 Nov 2003

Thanks redtail & porci,

From what you say I should try and stick with Sygate for now. I'll try uninstall/install and see how it goes. Didn't think to check the Task Manager...doh!

Thanks again

Patr100 00:37 28 Nov 2003

I had the same problem and posted it here a few months ago.
click here
Not too often thankfully. There is a new version which recently came out which might help to check you have, so far has been OK.

Skeletor 01:09 28 Nov 2003

Thanks Patr 100,

Looks like it's exactly the same problem. I do have the latest free version (5.5). Only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago. just checked their website again to be sure. Seems uninstall/reinstall might just resolve it.

Thanks again for your help

Jester2K II 07:38 28 Nov 2003

I've had 5.5 and never had this problem.....

However i'm off to see a client today to see if we can solve this problem for him!! Good (in a way) to see its not just him...

User-312386 08:31 28 Nov 2003

yes the latest version (5.5) has seemed to resolved the "quirk" in the Sygate firewall

Jester2K II 14:08 28 Nov 2003

Well it did for me. Unfortunately in my clients case a duff System Restore has messed up Sygate.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?