Switching off USB Printer with Card Slots.

daba 00:00 08 Mar 2009

Had this problem for a while - thought I'd get it sorted if I can.

O/S is Windows 2K
Printer is Epson Photo RX620, which has internal memory card slots.

Originally, (I've had the printer a couple of years now), turning off the printer caused no problems, but since a complete reformat and re-install, everytime I turn the printer off I get the "Unsafe Removal of Device" nag screen, presumably for the card slot hub in the printer.

I have contacted Epson, who say the "unsafe removal" nag is normal, and nothing can be done about it.

I would accept a solution of clicking the "removal" icon in the systray, except that it isn't there for the printer, never has been, even though the option to show it is checked. I suspect the Epson istall kills it.

The problem has now got worse, since I have connected the printer on a Belkin Wireless-G All in One Print Server, so all the PCs in the house can print directly via the router. This software "connects" to print, then disconnects after an idle time to allow other users to use the printer. So I now get the nag screen whenever the print manager disconnects.

Does anyone know if there is a registry setting that I can make to prevent the nag screen from interrupting whatever else I am doing.

I rarely use the card slots, and if I do, I just copy the contents to the PC, then remove the card, which incidentally does NOT produce the nag screen.

Stuartli 00:15 08 Mar 2009

I have an Epson R300, which also has memory card slots.

I never switch it off, so don't have this problem, and also avoid the head cleaning routine that would occur each time the printer was switched on.

daba 00:19 08 Mar 2009

And I won't be turning it off either, as doing so will prevent others from printing.

But the "connection" to the belkin print manager times-out automatically, so the PC thinks it has turned off.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?