Switching hard drives

Marky_Bhoy 20:42 09 Mar 2004

I have two PCs.

The first PC has 60 gb hard drive and the second one has a 120 gb. Both hard drives are the same type.

Could I simply unplug each hard drive and swap them over?

I want to do this becasue the second PC has better components and the I want the first PC to act as a mass storage devive for all my music files etc.

spanneress 20:46 09 Mar 2004

Provided they both have an OS on and the correct drivers are installed to run the PC from the 2nd HDD...no problem. Just changed the jumpers and away you go.

neko 20:50 09 Mar 2004

Hey

It shouldn't be a problem.

Just make sure they have the same connections to the motherboard.

On the back there are jumpers which must be set correctly. Master, Slave or cable select.
Make sure the drive you are putting in is set to the same as the one that is coming out, The same for the other machine.

Remember to unplug your machine from the socket. Ground yourself by at least touching the metal on the side of the PC case once you remove the cover.

Trolley 20:52 09 Mar 2004

As spannerness said. Should work.

Have your driver cd's to hand though, as you will probably have to install them for the specific hardware that is in either machine.

Not quite sure why you would need to change the jumpers though spannerness?

Maybe i'm just having a blonde day.

Marky_Bhoy 20:55 09 Mar 2004

spanneress - there are two PCs. Each hard drive will be set to master. So no need for me to change the jumpers.

Just thought of a potential problem - if each network card has a unqiue IP address then will these mess up my current settings when I insert the hard drive from another PC?

spanneress 20:59 09 Mar 2004

Woops..so sorry...my dog farted and the smell made my eyes water so I didn't read the first post properly....sorry sorry.

Just swap them over...don't mess with the jumpers, provided correct drivers on them..will be fine.

If they were on a network before, as long as the last 3 digits of the IP addy differ then there shouldn't be a problem...

Marky_Bhoy 22:06 09 Mar 2004

thanks all.

i will go and get my screw driver now!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?