Switches : Buying and Port Forwarding

  Kymagic 14:13 24 Jun 2007

Basically, I have one LAN cable that needs to share the internet access between two computers and a laptop (the router is in a different room). I have been told I need a network switch in order to do this, but I have a couple of questions about this. Firstly, I have looked on misco.co.uk and there are Standard and Dual Speed switches. Are dual speed switches just standard switches but with better performance, or is there one that will only work on my network depending on the hardware? Secondly, I sometimes run game/file servers on my computer which would be put behind the switch. How will port forwarding be affected by having a switch connected to the router?

Thanks in advance,

  mgmcc 20:11 24 Jun 2007

Never heard of "Standard" or "Dual" speed switches, perhaps you are looking at hardware that is more sophisticated than you need. A wired network running at 100Mbps is the norm.

<<<How will port forwarding be affected by having a switch connected to the router?>>>

Port forwarding is set up in the router to forward the internet traffic to the relevant IP address in the LAN. The switch you install will behave in exactly the same way as the router's built-in network switch (its four LAN ports) and won't have any effect on port forwarding.

  Kymagic 20:31 24 Jun 2007

Thanks for that. I asked because I didnt know if the router would be able to "see" the IPs behind the switch. Now I know :D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?