Switch it all off to get online!

xclr8r 11:34 26 Aug 2007

Hi guys,

Got a really strange problem the last few days with my internet connection, wonder if anyone can help me rectify it?

I have a Compaq C300EA laptop connected wireless via Netgear WGT624v3 108Mbs router. This is plugged in to Scientific Atlanta EPC2100R2 cable modem. This is all connected via a Virgin Media account. Where the cable comes into the house, there is a white cable goes into a splitter type item, with 3 cables coming out. one cable goes to the modem, one goes to the set top box and the final one goes to the aerial co-ax ( I think).
The problem lies when I try to connect to the net, it shows a page saying "cannot connect to server" I have tried a repair on the connection via the xp repair thingy, but that does not work. I have found the only way to correct the fault is by switching everything off including the set top box. When I switch back on, everything works fine. I don't want to keep switching the whole lot off all the time and would appreciate any advice,
Regards,
xclr8r.

Taff™ 11:39 26 Aug 2007

Virgin are having problems all over the place at the moment. It sounds like they are having to reset connections and your modem is dropping their cable signals. Resetting them as you are doing is probably the only way you can pick it back up again. VoG™ gave a link to their status pages in another thread but you can probably find it for yourself from their home page. The lists of outages for the last two days is amazing!

Taff™ 11:47 26 Aug 2007

click here (Found It) Can`t believe this number of outages is normal.

xclr8r 12:11 26 Aug 2007

Thanks Taff, I will leave thread open for now. I must admit I never seemed to have as many problems when it was Telewest.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?