Switch on - almost instant switch off

chub_tor 10:09 01 Dec 2007

MY PC has started the recent habit of switching itself off almost immediately after I push the front panel on switch. Today for example it took about 6 presses before it finally purred into life. Once on it runs perfectly; the machine is 3 years old, self built with an ECS nforce3-A motherboard, AMD Sempron 2800 processor and 2 x 512Mb DDR sticks of Crucial memory, this machine runs Windows XP.

After switching on it doesn't reach post or any screens and just turns off a second or so after the button is pushed.

I am figuring power supply but I would be interested in any suggestions others in this form might have.

Totally-braindead 10:15 01 Dec 2007

It could just be a bad connection on the switch, it could be the power supply though.
You could try connecting the reset switch to the power connectors instead of the on/off switch and see if that works, if it does, its the switch thats faulty ( I'm fairly sure that works ok but let someone else confirm it).

chub_tor 11:51 01 Dec 2007

Thanks for the suggestion, I will give the reset switch trick a try and see what happens. It could be that the power switch is sticking on and so turning the machine off. We had builders in recently so I should probably take off the covers and see if the whole thing is covered in brick dust.....

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?