swin_nts.~bt

swapper 08:22 17 Jul 2004

does anyone know what this file is please, I cant say I have noticed it before?

Diodorus Siculus 09:01 17 Jul 2004

Where is it?

swapper 18:37 17 Jul 2004

Sorrrry, it's not "swin_nts.~bt" but "$win_nt$.~bt" and it is top of the list in "My Computer/Local Disk(c)"

I'm grasping at straws here Diodorus Siculus, because I have lost the ability to get my DVD/CDROM's to "Autorun" on two PC's and I think it is to do with a couple of progs. that I uninstalled/reinstalled,PowerProducer2 and Nero5 and Nero 6 OEM, I'm also looking for Progs that I do not recognise :-((

swapper 18:37 17 Jul 2004

Sorrrry, it's not "swin_nts.~bt" but "$win_nt$.~bt" and it is top of the list in "My Computer/Local Disk(c)"

I'm grasping at straws here Diodorus Siculus, because I have lost the ability to get my DVD/CDROM's to "Autorun" on two PC's and I think it is to do with a couple of progs. that I uninstalled/reinstalled,PowerProducer2 and Nero5 and Nero 6 OEM, I'm also looking for Progs that I do not recognise :-((

powerless 18:46 17 Jul 2004
  Diodorus Siculus 18:56 17 Jul 2004

Have you tried the system file checker if you have win98 /xp?

start

run

sfc /scannow

swapper 19:24 17 Jul 2004

I have Winxp, a clean install.
I have tried sfc /scannow, but when it prompts me that it needs to copy .dll files, and I should insert the WinXp disk, when I do this the respomse is that it is the wrong disk, and it is not! I think this is probably due to the fact that the disks will not Autorun. how do I go on from here please.

swapper 19:26 17 Jul 2004

Powerless, I don't want to remove xp? did you put me to the wrong link :-))

Diodorus Siculus 19:29 17 Jul 2004

Have you installed a service pack for WinXP? That can cause some problems for the system file checker.

THE TERMINATOR 19:40 17 Jul 2004

The file named ~ is a copy of your outlook express address book and can be deleted without harm. It happens everytime you make changes to it. It is a fault in one of the Microsoft updates but as yet they have no remedy for it, maybe in SP2....TT

Diodorus Siculus 19:42 17 Jul 2004

ßéLâ - always someone comes along with the simple answer. :-)

Thanks for the enlightenment...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?