Sweetlabs login in - is this safe

laptopdunce 07:38 07 Feb 2015

I have just openend my windows 8.1 laptop and there is a window asking me to agree to a log-in page update thing that says it does all sorts of improved things, I clicked on the legal issues tab and see that it is operated by something called sweetlabs.org or something, I cant make this banner disappear so have dragged it to the bottom of the page and left it, my question is: is this a spammer/virus that I would accept? or is it "safe"?? I suspect it is not safe and want to get rid of it, so what do I do? thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:39 07 Feb 2015

Its a PUP do not accept you must have downloaded it with somethingelse, that's how theses things get ino your system.

Use adwcleaner to check for and remove all pups

laptopdunce 11:14 07 Feb 2015

OK thanks for that, I am busy downloading it now, I did and Antimalwarebytes scan and it came up clear, but will let this adwcleaner download and see what it detects, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 11:56 07 Feb 2015

I havent noticed this ADWcleaner installed in my programmes list in control panel, but i have noticed a thing called "pokki start menu" - is this safe to leave there or should I delete it? I am running google chrome as the default browser on this laptop, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:41 07 Feb 2015

ADwcleaner is a standalone program that is not installed if you try and run it in a few days time it will tell you it is outdated and to download again provisde you download from the makers site or Bleeping compter site this is OK.

It is also hosted on the Cnet site which unfortunately packages "crapware" with a lot of its downloads hence you get Sweetlabs and all sorts of other junk.

Pokki start menu is also something you want to get rid of.

robin_x 14:14 07 Feb 2015

The Author re-directs fresh updates to download on Techlib.net

1">[click here

I believe it to be a safe one, like bleepingcomputer's.

I've used both many times, without concern, except for bleepingcomputer link is partially blocked by my Firefox and I have to 'Click here' to force download.

robin_x 14:17 07 Feb 2015

Sorry I meant Toolslib.net

laptopdunce 18:16 07 Feb 2015

right thanks, I will uninistall the pokki start menu, I thought it was more crap!

I will come back to this post for opening the ADWcleaner link to use it again, thanks LAPTOPDUNCE

laptopdunce 18:24 07 Feb 2015

If I try to uninstall the Pokki start menu it brings up a page that says: system 32 at the top of the tab, then "thisPC> Acer C > Windows > System 32 and on the page there is LOADS of folder for all sorts of different things like Catroot, catroot2, config, etc., etc,. what should I do?? I have just left it as it is as it wont continue to uninstall, thanks Laptopdunce

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:40 07 Feb 2015

Its part of the Sweetlabs to give you a different start menu in windows, think it may also report back to Sweetlabs on what programs you are using.

PCA reviewed and liked it back in Jan 2013 but there are better and safer ways of getting the start menu back in windows 8.1. Classic menu is good

Uninstall Pokki on Windows 8

1. Switch to the Metro UI
  2. Start typing "Control Panel"
  3. Scroll down and click "More Settings"
  4. Click "Uninstall a program" under the Programs section
  5. Select Pokki from the list of currently installed programs, then click Uninstall
  6. Do the same for "Host App Service" and "Start Menu" if they are listed.
  7. When asked if you would like to uninstall, select Yes

Still having problems?

Try this:

1. Right-click the windows taskbar, hover over toolbars, and click Pokki.
  2. Copy/Paste? this into an explorer window: %localappdata%
  3. Click the Pokki folder
  4. Delete all files/folders in here except Pokki Download Helper
  5. Restart your computer

If all of the above options fail, download this file and run it:

Pokki Cleanup Tool

laptopdunce 19:45 07 Feb 2015

Well, in the end I had to use the Pokki Cleanup tool link at the end of both of those sets of instructions, it downloaded the programme and had an option to download or save to dropbox, so I downloaded it and very quickly it brought up a window saying Cleanup OK, was very fast, does this mean the Pokki is uninstalled? its not showing in the programmes list in control panel now. On the first set of instructions it says 1. Switch to the Metro UI - I dont understand at all what "Metro UI" means so I couldnt go on with that option and the 2nd set of instructions simply didnt bring up any sign of "Pokki" when i hovered over the taskbar and right clicked over toolbars, no sign of Pokki so I used the last option, thanks Laptopdunce (I think I have this pokki on my other windows 8 laptop in The Netherlands!! I must check tomorrow)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?