swapping old Harddrive for new

MASHUP 18:29 28 May 2007

My old pc have gone down, i wish to transfer all the data from the Harddrive to a new and bigger Harddrive.What is the best way to do this? will i be able to Boot-up the PC once i have transfer all the Data.Keeping in mind that the old harddrive, i belive is not working to well.

woodchip 18:39 28 May 2007

You should get a Hard Drive Caddy that plugs into the USB. fit it in the caddy Drive Jumper as to be set to Master or the Drive will not be seen by your computer. You can then get what you want off the drive in Windows Explorer

Diodorus Siculus 18:40 28 May 2007

Do you have an operating system installed on the new harddrive - ie is it in a working machine?

If yes, then you can add the old hard drive to the new machine and copy the data via windows explorer, assuming the connections are available.

Give some more info about the setup - eg, has the new machine got sata or ide drives?

Who manufactured the new drive? Many come with utilities to allow you to move from one disk to another.

MASHUP 18:49 28 May 2007

This is a new machine i'm going to transfer my old Harddrive to a new Machine, it is a Intel Pentium D, i'm toying with the idea of using a 120gb Harddrive ide, or a 250gb Harddrive sata. Both dont have any operating system on them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone