swapped hard drives in laptop Vista key problem

masterfulmatt 23:34 12 Apr 2010

Hi

I have owned a toshiba Laptop with Vista Home Premium since new, The laptop is now needing some tlc and has been sold - minus the hard drive,via ebay.

I switched the hard drive on another older laptap I own with my toshiba hard drive.

All worked fine for about a week, so I wiped the old hard drive and have utilised that as an alternative external hard drive for backups of data.

However now I am being asked to validate the vista key, The key was only recorded on the paper sticker on the base and has long since gone. I have though recovered the key using a program called keyfinder. but when I enter the key, it tells me the key is incorrect.

and i have limited access to the pc (net use only) If I put it back in the toshiba laptop the restrictions go away, as the toshiba is sold I need to post that out tomorrow, how can I run this on my old laptop....any one know?

Thanks

Ashrich 00:29 13 Apr 2010

You'll need to buy another licence key , the old one is tied to the original laptop hardware and trying to re-validate it flags this up on the MS database .

Ashley

mgmcc 08:59 13 Apr 2010

If you still have the "recovery media" (Windows CD/DVD or manufacturer's CD/DVD) for the old Laptop, you should still be able to use that to reload the original operating system into the "new" hard drive (from the sold Laptop).

Doing so would, of course, set it back to the Laptop's out-of-the-box state, with the loss of all of your own files.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best Black Friday Deals 2017

How modern book design was influenced by illustrated manuscripts

Best Black Friday Apple Deals 2017

Les meilleurs logiciels de montage vidéo gratuits (en 2017)