svhost

zarobian 10:47 16 Jun 2006

Windows XP Pro.
My computer at startup freezes for about 10 minutes. Looking into the task manager processes, I find that the CPU is running at 100%. Beside other svhost entries,there are three system svhost.exe processes running:
1.svhost.exe system ....48688K to 72692K;
2.svhost.exe system ....5256K;
3.svhost.exe system ....3516K.
During normal operation No.1 process stayes at 45916K and CPU usage is between 8% to 12%.
This happened after Microsoft up dates.
Any ideas on this please?

VoG II 10:59 16 Jun 2006

click here

Did you mean svchost.exe?

zarobian 12:52 16 Jun 2006

Yes I mean svchost.exe. Sorry for the spelling and thanks for the links. I did run Registry cleaner which fixed 15 out 0f 20 problems. The rest will need a paid up version.
I ran the Regscrub also which found about 6 negligeble entries and fixed them all.

I have Windows defender,Spybot S&D,Adaware and Blueyonder's PCGuard. None these reported virus or trojens!!!
Will further investigate using your suggested link.
Thanks again.

'Z'

VoG II 13:11 16 Jun 2006

This should help click here

zarobian 15:22 16 Jun 2006

Thanks again. Using command prompt C:\ tasklist /SVC i am presented with a long list. The items listed there seems to be genuine.. Startup file is also a big one. Disabling now the suspected ones in diagnostic mode to find out the culprit.

Will post back.

Z

zarobian 07:22 20 Jun 2006

I have noticed that at startup Windows defender creates a check point and at the same time Blueyonder's PCGuard starts and getting updates for Anti Virus, Anti Spyware etc plus other items.

To solve the freezing and long delay while starting up I set the Motorolla Brandband Modem to standby. It then takes about 3.5 minutes to complete startup and thereafter I set the Modem to normal. It works fine for me!!!

I have bookmarked your usuful links. Thanks for that.

Z

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?