SVGA Driver

pppc 21:28 26 Oct 2003

My daughter, who is running Windows 95, has been given an SVGA monitor - but no driver. Can I download a generic driver for her and if so from where?
AND, if I attempt to install a driver and it goes wrong how do I get her back to her current position???
I'm not willing to 'improve' her machine without being certain I can reverse any changes I make!

DieSse 21:54 26 Oct 2003

Monitors don't need drivers. The things that masquerade as drivers are simply inf files - a text list of the parameters that the monitor supports.

Many monitors use the standard windows ones anyway, and don't even have inf files of their own.

So basically - just fit it and run it. Nothing else required. If you don't get a wide enough choice of reolutions and refresh rates with the standard windows inf file, install the one (in windows) for the Acer15p - this works for just about any monitor.

woodchip 22:06 26 Oct 2003

Have a look on the back of the monitor for model. then right click on desktop\Properties\Settings\Advanced\Monitor\Change then click the display a list of drivers and see if yours is in the list if not click one with the nearest model. other than that click on generic svga and choose a desktop with Res of round about 1000x700
PS it only loads a .INF file with the settings for your monitor not a true driver as DieSse say's

woodchip 22:08 26 Oct 2003

The main driver you need is for the Graphics adapter So you can set the Resolution and colour

pppc 07:06 27 Oct 2003

Many thanks to all three of you. I had tried changing the resolution and failed so I'll try looking at the Acer. It will be a couple of weeks - the machine is 250 miles away.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Les meilleures tablettes 2017