svchost.exe networkservice

poncho 10:17 19 May 2007

Help please, when I start my XP computer it is really slow and the task manager tells me that svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE is using 97% of the CPU has anybody any idea why.

Gongoozler 10:41 19 May 2007

Hi poncho, svchost.exe is generally an important part of Windows, but it is possible that some kind of malware is using it to do something nasty. Try disabling unwanted startup items. Click on Start - Run. Type in msconfig and click OK. In the configuration window click on the Startup tab and remove the tick from all the items that aren't vital to the running of Windows. Restart the computer and see if it runs any faster. If that doesn't help, do the msconfig thing again but this time click on the Services tab and tick the "Hide all Microsoft services box. Now disable all and OK out of the configuration utility. Try restarting the computer and see if it's any faster. WARNING you have probably disabled your antivirus so don't do any webb surfing until you have re-enabled it.

If that doesn't help try scanning your computer with Asquared free click here

birdface 10:43 19 May 2007

Its normally a Microsoft problem,If you have Microsoft up-dates set to automatic,Delete it so that you can install up-dates manually.Re-boot computer and try and run up-dates manually.See if that helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache