svchost.exe locks computer loading programme disc

TCDS 22:21 18 Feb 2007

Hi, I'm trying to load Flight Simulator X on and Advent 3617, running XP home, all fully up to date on patches,etc.

Putting the disc in the drive avchost.exe runs the processor at 100% constant, locking out everything else.

The only way to proceed is to crash the system and re-boot.

I have two other computer which both load the programme without any problems, although the Advent 6410 laptop is too weak to run it.

Any ideas please.

Thanks,

Bill

LastChip 22:32 18 Feb 2007

I loaded exactly that program for a client today. He was actually quite worried as one of his magazines quoted all sorts of people having problems with it.

It does need a fairly hefty machines (though I can't tell you exactly what) and a lot of disc space (it used about 15GB of hard drive real estate). Do you have that amount of free space on your laptop plus some spare?

All I can tell you is, you're not alone by any means.

Maybe some searching on Google will help you determin if there is a problem with your particular machine.

TCDS 22:44 18 Feb 2007

Thank Last Chip,

Machine has a AMD AthlonTM 64 3200+ processor, 2 GB of RAM, 2 160 GB hard drives with less that 50% used. It runs the previous Flight Simulator easily. This doesn't even start to show any install shield messages or anything.

In safe mode the disc starts to work but there is a runtime error stopping it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?