svchost.exe - Application error

Cola Bear 16:59 17 Jul 2005

I keep getting the above error message appearing on my laptop with the following: The instruction at "0x009a96bc" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written". - I then have two choices, one of which is the cancel button which says it debugs the program - the other I think was to terminate the program. This keeps popping up - can anybody tell me why and what I need to do about it?
I am running windows xp and have a wireless network at home using wanadoo livebox, connected to the livebox via an ethernet cable is an all in one printer, copier etc which I can use from my laptop wirelessly. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

VoG II 17:38 17 Jul 2005

Do you have an HP printer by any chance?

Here are some ideas click here

Cola Bear 19:02 17 Jul 2005

Yes - it is a HP all in one machine! Many thanks for the suggestions, I will work my way through these now.

Not sure if it is connected at all but also get the following message when turning on computer - "To help protect your computer, windows has closed this program - name: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services"

VoG II 19:52 17 Jul 2005

This error appears to be related to HP printer drivers. If you can post the model number of your printer, someone should be able to provide you with a web link to download the latest drivers.

Cola Bear 20:48 17 Jul 2005

It's a HP Photosmart 2610

VoG II 20:52 17 Jul 2005

click here and follow the instructions.

Danoh 21:25 17 Jul 2005

VoG™, you are really good! That is a standard debug message used by a lot of programs!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone