Svchost.exe activity

roy 17:02 01 Dec 2004

I have noticed that svchost.exe (system) is active and using 100% cpu for about 4 minutes after bootup. The bootup itself also takes about 4 minutes. Maybe I simply have too many programmes installed. I realise that more information may be required so ask away.

My pc is AMD 1800+, ddram 512 Mb, Win XP Home, 2 hdd (80 and 120 Gig)

I would be interested in any comments on this.

(I use AVG daily and have run Adaware recently)

SEASHANTY 17:14 01 Dec 2004

Svchost.exe click here

roy 22:36 01 Dec 2004

SEASHANTY Hi!

Thanks for the shortcut. What I was really looking for is a reason for it taking so long to do its job when I switch on. I suppose the answer is in the number of processes that I have running.

SEASHANTY 23:04 01 Dec 2004

That is usually the problem - all the programmes which start at bootup. There are a few startup managers listed on the snapfiles freeware page
click here but I haven't tried any of them. There is also plenty of info on windows startup programmes on
blackvipers website click here
Just put a query for this in the "Search" option.

roy 16:02 02 Dec 2004

Hi SEASHANTY,

Thanks again for your input and those shortcuts.
I have put them into my Favourites and will; go through the suggestions. My first worry was that some nasty programme was trying to get on line when I started up but I don't think that that is the case. Have been having a look with Highjack This and can identify most of the contents and can probably remove some of them.

roy 16:44 14 Dec 2004

Hi SEASHANTY,

if you look at this again, you may like to know that I have now cured the problem.

I ran Spybot-Search and Destroy and it found one one 'red' object recommended destroy. I did so and now am booting up in about 1 min 30 secs and no discernible svchost activity at all.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone