SVCHost exe. Application Error

frostysnowman 09:06 14 Apr 2008

Recently I have been getting the message headed 'SVCHost exe Application Error' The message reads 'The instruction at '0x0215048a' referenced memory at '0z0000000b' The memory could not be 'written'. Click 'OK' to terminate Program. This message only appears sometimes and only happens when shutting down the PC and it gets to the blue screen stating 'Windows Is Shutting Down'. The numbers also change each time. If I leave the message and do not press 'OK' the computer waits a while and then shuts down. I am running Windows Xp Service Pack 2 with all latest updates and I am also using NIS2007, together with Spyware Blaster. I have also scanned my PC with several other Anti-Spyware programs, all of which show no problems. I have Automatic Updates set at 'Notify me but don't automatically download or Install them'. Any advice on this error message appreciated.

birdface 09:26 14 Apr 2008

click here= Have you just had the problem since the Microsoft updates last tuesday.

frostysnowman 09:43 14 Apr 2008

Thanks for your very quick reply. No I had the problem before the latest updates.

birdface 10:04 14 Apr 2008

Have you tried going in to TaskManager as it is shutting down and see what is hogging the CPU.Or try closing Microsoft automatic updates down.And see if it works any better.

frostysnowman 12:47 14 Apr 2008

I will try what you suggested.
I presently run NIS2007 but I have been told by Symantec that I can upgrade to NIS2008 for no extra cost for as long as my subscription lasts. Because of the error message I get however, I am reluctant to download the NIS2008 file. Could anything affect the download, for e.g. if I have missed any spyware, virus etc. (I have scanned however with numerous utilities and all say OK). I am sorry if this question seems stupid but I am a very paranoid computer user.

birdface 13:53 14 Apr 2008

It could be Norton Causing the problem.So not sure whats best.Also a few had problems when upgrading.May be better downloading NIS 2008 on to your computer without running it.Use the Norton Removal tool to remove the version that you have .Then Install 2008 version.

frostysnowman 15:02 14 Apr 2008

Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by downloading NIS2008 but not running it? Would I be OK to download on to my PC with the error message I am getting. Will the download still be OK to use. I have also looked at the event viewer and under the security tab I have some entries for Audit Failure - ID 615. This seems to happen when I disconnect from the internet. Are these anything to worry about? Thanks again for any advice.

birdface 16:02 14 Apr 2008

Just download 2008 To desktop just press save and not run. Or to My Documents so you know where it is when you need it.Not sure about your other problems maybe someone can advise you better with those.click here=

covkid 19:32 14 Apr 2008

I had the same problem, it was NIS2007. Use the 2008 version.

frostysnowman 20:16 14 Apr 2008

Thanks for all your replies. Will I be alright downloading NIS2008 on my PC. Will the error I am getting affect the download in any way. Any advice appreciated.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?