svchost

pollpott 17:40 20 Feb 2008

My broadband download speed is very slow, I contacted my ISP,talktalk, and was directed to check NETSTAT. It showed 'too many' entries and I was told to run spybot to remedy this. I did but there are still a lot of entries all of which are 'localhost'. This led me to do some checking and I found that I had several entries in 'processes' of the svchost.exe type. They do not use any processor capacity but I have seen lots of references to them as virus/worm type things. I know this is a lot of info, can anyone shed any light? PS my download speed is constantly around 450kb/sec on an 'upto 8mb' contract

cocteau48 17:50 20 Feb 2008

Installing the AnVir Task Manager
click here
as a much improved alternative to the windows task manager will tell you exactly what each svchost is for. My processes currently show 5 instances of svchost running.

MCE2K5 22:13 20 Feb 2008

'download speed is constantly around 450kb/sec on an 'upto 8mb': So's mine (Rated 6.5mb bt BT).

And I've got 9 svchost.exe's running on my XP Media Center PC, That's Nornal.

pollpott 08:30 21 Feb 2008

That is reassuring MCE2k5 , I did wonder what could be too wrong if none of them were using any processor capacity. My question now is whether it is worth switching ISP or is the speed down to the BT line.(we are only about 1/4 mile from the exchange.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone