Suspiciously unable to scan, computer super-slow/hanging

TheJs 00:11 30 Jun 2014

My computer was at a crawl, even step from booting to loading the desktop and beyond took at least 50x as long. Start Menu takes like 5 minutes to load. Task Manager can't be launched, some kind of error appears. But in Safe Mode, it was running only a little slower than usual but otherwise fine, so I suspected a virus or malware. Attempts at using AVG antivirus's command line scan in Safe Mode was met with messages such as 'Boot Sector Hidden' or something like 'Processes scanning failed'.

Desperately I tried to run CHKDSK. Founds some errors, seemed to solve the problem, but just after that, AVG antivirus crashed while scanning. Next day, I try again, AVG seems to work detecting no threats, and Malwarebytes detected nothing too. I am not sure if the CHKDSK was the problem or merely a symptom of a deeper unresolved problem.

NOW I want to make sure my computer is virus or malware free. Please help me, this is my only laptop.

I have Hijack this logs, but there is some error message about hosts files, I can post them if you want.. I tried aswmbr anti root kit , but the program always crashes just as it's checking sysmain.dll

Some background: I am using Windows 7. Awhile ago, I accidently installed some malware by not unchecking the right boxes while installing DAEMON tools. Found out it was messing with my browser, so used Spybot Search and Destroy plus Malwarebytes anti-malware, found some malware uninstalled them, also remove them through Control Panel. Seemed fine. until a day later when I accidently turned off the mains power to the laptop, without any battery in. Then the slow down suddenly appeared. I have accidently done this before but it never had this effect.

lotvic 00:30 30 Jun 2014

The power being cut off like that may have corrupted some files.

You could try: Run sfc /scannow (yes there should be a space after c and before /) This will run System File Checker and scan your system for corrupted Windows Files

Run it several times and reboot. You have to run it more than once as some files can't be replaced with good ones from within Windows protected files until others have been put to rights.

So, click on the globe, type Run, click on Run to open the window and type sfc /scannow in the box and click on OK to start the process.

lotvic 00:34 30 Jun 2014

PS would be best to do the above whilst disconnected from the internet and stop/disable AVG from running.

BRYNIT 07:32 30 Jun 2014

You say you ran chkdsk and it found errors? Did you run it to scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.

Too many bad sectors on a hard drive can slow it down.

TheJs 11:30 01 Jul 2014

When I ran CHKDSK I selected the 'attempt to fix error' option as well. It fixed the problem. I can look for the log if you want.

Also did the System File Checker yesterday, " Verification 100% Complete

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations "

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:43 01 Jul 2014

Chkdsk done and sfc OK and If AVG and Malwarebytes is showing no problems then things are looking good so far.

You could also try scanning with Hitman pro for a second opinion and ADWCleaner will also help.

If all these done then you should be happy all is then well

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone