suspicious email from Facebook?

palinka 11:57 16 May 2010

An email arrived from someone I know who lives near me here in the North West, with subject “Take a look at my photos on Facebook”. But it seems to me suspiciously like the situation where you receive a spam email from yourself - via someone who writes to someone, who writes to someone…. who has you in their address book and whose PC is infected with malware; etc, etc.
I think this because: the supposed sender of the email (call him X) is known to me but we have never exchanged emails except for timings of practices for a choir that we once both belonged to (defunct for at least 12 months); the sender’s address is not his, though the return address is correct.
In addition, one of the pictures is of a relation of mine who lives 300 miles away and has no connection whatever with X. And X would be unaware that this person is related to me.
I have not seen this particular photo before and from the details, I suspect it was taken at her workplace.
I do not use Facebook, and never have.
I will of course delete the email, but any advice on further steps?

birdface 12:59 16 May 2010

There is a Facebook virus going about so I would not open it.
Something like this to look out for.

click here

Sea Urchin 13:07 16 May 2010

but as you have already opened the pictures you may well have infected your machine. I would run your antimalware programs - particularly Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware.

palinka 13:37 16 May 2010

thank you both. Will do as you advise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017