Suspected Virus infection!

goforit 17:48 11 Aug 2008

Hi,
While surfing just now, a very aggressive website called Power AntiVirus 2009 popped a grey warning box on my screen saying

"your computer is running slower than normal, you may have milicious software infecting your computer. Have a scan completely free" or words to that effect. So I clicked OK. After about 5 seconds of what looked like a scanning action window, I was told I had 45 infected items and they were listed. Two were highlighted in red & called 'critical'.

TGrojanDropper.JSMimail and
Backdoor.SdBot. something!

A download box appeared and was very difficult to get rid of without closing IE.

I scanned my computer with my recently bought NOD32 (which took 2hrs & 46 mins including my external hard drive). It said my PC was clean.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Sophie

PS: I use Windows XP Pro and have a firewall working etc but no other anti malware software.

Am not very clear about the difference between spyware, adware, malware etc. Does NOD32 cover me sufficiently?

birdface 17:57 11 Aug 2008
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:00 11 Aug 2008

I use Windows XP Pro and have a firewall working etc but no other anti malware software.

Do you have Antivirus software?

How to remove PowerAntivius click here

to keep you safe in future
Recommended
Antivirus
Avast4 click here
/eng/download.html
Antispyware / malware
Superantispyware click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:03 11 Aug 2008

Sorry
Avast click here

mfletch 18:16 11 Aug 2008

Hi as you are using Nod32 for your antivirus download these free antispyware/malware programs

Here are a few free antispyware/malware programs to use,

Only run one at a time

Always check for any updates before running

SAS/ Superantispyware click here

MBAM/ Malwarebytes/ Antimalware click here

DRWebCurit/ click here

goforit 19:43 11 Aug 2008

Thanks everyone. I don't know yet whether the Power Virus 2009 was telling fibs but have downloaded Superantispyware and MBAM anti malware. Am about to install and run.

In spite of looking up all these terms -viruses, malware, spyware, I am still unclear as to the difference between malware and a virus.

Will report back and tick resolved as soon as I can.

Thanks
Sophie

mfletch 19:48 11 Aug 2008

Malware definition

Malware: Short for malicious software, a program or file that is designed to specifically damage or disrupt a system, such as a virus, worm, or a Trojan horse.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 11 Aug 2008

Power AntiVirus 2009

is malware tells you fibs to get you to buy and nags till you do.

uninstall it as per the instructions

Nod32 is a good Antivirus and will have found the trojans mentioned.

Solutionfinder 22:40 11 Aug 2008

I installed Spybot and it detected and destroyed most of the XP antivirus 2008 (no popups, no warnings) but i have file left lphc9gdj0e5cl.exe 127KB that cannot be removed. And the desktop still has the screen warning image (and some change of colour). How can I delete this file and restore my desktop settings?
Anyone help with this?

woodchip 22:48 11 Aug 2008

As above, its a Con

goforit 11:18 12 Aug 2008

Thanks for ;your help everyone.

Fruit Bat says my NOD 32 should detect trojans and the like. In which case do I really need to install the two anti-malware and anti-spyware packages suggested?

Don't want to put more stuff on my PC if not needed.

Thanks

Sophie

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?