Suspected hard drive failure.

archie330 19:39 26 Dec 2007

I have 2 hard drives in my pc with usual configuration. One for the OS and programs and the second larger drive for data.
I am losing files from the second data drive.
The event viewer is showing error entry after error entry. The vast majority of which are Error 7.
I suspect my hard drive is dying am I correct in this assumption? If so any tips how to proceed, apart from the obvious one of installing a new drive.

MCE2K5 19:46 26 Dec 2007

Like this, click here.

Drive is Kn****red.

Replace it, I Did, If inside 3 year warrenty.

Pamy 19:47 26 Dec 2007

Go to the drive makers site and download their Diagnostic software (will fit on a floppy)

skidzy 19:54 26 Dec 2007

Follow the above advice and consider running chkdsk click here and your error code and tips click here

archie330 20:55 26 Dec 2007

You guys are great.Following the chkdsk link suggested by Skidsy I have managed to retrieve all my lost files(Whoopeedo).I have now stored them in a safe place, but I will still have to replace the failing drive won't I?

Pamy 21:00 26 Dec 2007

Go to the drive makers site and download their Diagnostic software (will fit on a floppy)

archie330 22:42 26 Dec 2007

Pamy, I did as you suggested, went to the makers site (Seagate), downloaded their free diagnostic tool and ran it on the affected drive. It found only 2 errors and cured them, so now I do not have to buy a new drive , and I got all my missing files back.
So, once again thank you very much.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?