Suse Linux

pcolvin00 16:52 23 Jul 2004

I have tried to install a copy of SuSe Linux onto an old machine but I have not had any success. It starts the installation up alright and for about two minutes it's fine, then when it gets to PCMCIA devices it just stops. It doesn't hang or reboot, it just stops, the keyboard still responds but nothing else happens. Left it at this stage for about 25 minutes and still nothing. ALso tried the Safe CD option, but that didn't even get as far into the installation. Is there something I can do to bypass this, or am I doing something wrong? It should just be a case of stick the CD in and leave it, but it's not working. Someone help please

Specs of machine are : AMD K6/2 300Mhz , 256Mb RAM, 14Gig HDD, 36* CD-ROM, 4Mb VGA Card. Nothing exciting but I would've thought it could run a version of linux. Maybe I'm wrong????

Chegs ® 17:33 23 Jul 2004

The PC specs aren't great,but linux should run on it no problems.I tried Suse from CD,but could never get it to load.I eventually succeeded by doing a "Network" install,I found a readme online,d/l a 50Mb ISO and burnt this to CD,booted from it and a few cfg's later it partitioned the hdd and installed direct from the web.My experience of linux(tried RedHat/Mandrake/Suse/Lycoris/Debian,etc)is they are basically the same,same apps etc,so if one didn't work there are plenty others to have a go with. :-~)

woodchip 17:39 23 Jul 2004

You do not make a partition or formmat the drive for linux. Use FDISK and remove the partitions linux will set there own when they see the free Drive Space

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?