Suse 11.1

Ozy 14:53 22 Jul 2009

I downloaded SuSE 11.1 Live,
It booted up fine on my HP laptop,
It booted up fine on our Acer, second desktop,
An old XP computer, will not see it, it goes straight past into XP, (CD RW is first Boot )
Our main computer,(self build ), it will not run.
The computer boots SuSE, the words Open SuSE come on screen
The white installation bar goes across the screen,
When it reaches the end, the screen goes black,
The boot sound is heard, and the CDRW stops flashing.
The screen stays black, after 30 minutes it’s still black,
It will not let me eject the disc, so I turn of the computer

Graphicool1 15:55 22 Jul 2009

Take a look at this compatibility list click here

Graphicool1 15:56 22 Jul 2009

If that doesn't help click here

dth 16:04 22 Jul 2009

It might well be that the CD RW is a bit old - some of these are not very good at recognising more modern produced CDs.

If you still have the iso image - it might be worth burning a new CD (using a low burn speed).

DieSse 18:59 22 Jul 2009

"An old XP computer, will not see it, it goes straight past into XP, (CD RW is first Boot )"

With many systems, you need to press a key to boot from the CD - but a splash screen from the motherboard or PC manufacturer prevents you seeing the message. If you've got such a screen, disable it in the BIOS, then you'll see the message.

Otherwise it'll probably be that the system can't read the CD at all for some reason (as per dth suggestion).

If you're looking for a nice version of Linux to run, I can thoroughly recommend Linux Mint. Based on the latest Ubuntu, but already with DVD and MP3 capability added on. After MUCH looking and testing, I've at last decided to settle on Mint. Already have XP up and running in Mint via Virtualbox virtual machine.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?