Surround sound on Samsung T220HD?

feedquentin 14:51 09 Mar 2009

I finally recieved last week my new Samsung T220HD Montor/TV, and i've been fruitlessly trying to setup my Logitech x-540 5.1 surround sound speakers to the thing.
Before i recieved my new TV I had my speakers connected to the side of my laptop which worked perfectly, but had to keep unplugging it all and attaching it to my xbox whenever I wanted to play on my games.
I bought this monitor/tv so i could have my xbox, computer, and TV all in one place so i was wondering if anyone knew how to connect the 5.1 speakers up to the Samsung TV so whether I'm using the TV, Xbox, or my laptop the sound comes out the logitech speakers and not the TV.

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give :)

feedquentin 15:47 09 Mar 2009

I also forgot to mention that a stereo cable came with the monitor TV. Would i need to get something else in order to be able to connect the laptop to the TV and Speakers in order to get surround sound?

Thanks again

Technotiger 16:03 09 Mar 2009

I have a similar Samsung TV/Monitor - SyncMaster 225MD. PC Audio/Video via VGA cable PC to TV/Monitor for all normal PC Audio, games etc.

Separate pair of Speakers connected to headphone socket on TV/Mon for TV Audio.

feedquentin 16:14 09 Mar 2009

thanks for your reply Technotiger

"PC Audio/Video via VGA cable PC to TV/Monitor"
From what i hear audio is not sent through the VGA cable.. or am i misinformed?
I hooked up my laptop to the tv with the VGA cable and it would only play sounds through the laptop speakers. So i figured the stereo cable is for the sound, but I tried connecting that in all three of the sockets on the side of the laptop and still the sound would come through the laptop.
Do you have a speaker system hooked up to your samsung? I can only find a single sound output on the side which would not be enough to give me the surround sound i want...

Technotiger 16:24 09 Mar 2009

The surround sound comes from your PC Speakers via your Sound card or on-board sound.

My VGA cable is connected via a DVI Adapter in the back of my PC (Video card) to the VGA socket on TV/Monitor.

See item No. 15 in this link ... click here

Technotiger 16:28 09 Mar 2009

PS - the single sound output on the side is the headphone socket, and is for TV Audio only, not PC audio. I have separate speakers attached to the side socket.

My PC audio is via the VGA/DVI connection.

Technotiger 16:29 09 Mar 2009

Ooops - Sorry, a correction on my last statement!!

My PC Audio is via audio cable from my SB Audigy Sound Card to the TV/Monitor.

Technotiger 16:32 09 Mar 2009

Cor blimey - having a Senior Moment .... above should read "from my SB Audigy Sound Card to my PC's Speaker Set-up." NOT to TV/Monitor.

Sorry about that!

feedquentin 16:40 09 Mar 2009

haha no problem. I think i understand now. As i said before i had my speaker system working fine connected up to my laptop. Not sure what my sound card is but it worked :)
I was just looking for a way that i can connect the same speaker system up to the TV/Monitor so when flicking from tv, xbox, laptop then i get the sound through them and not my TV's or Laptop's tinny little speakers.
Any ideas how i could achieve this?

Technotiger 17:04 09 Mar 2009

I don't think you can get exactly what you want - TV Audio's only output (other than its' built-in speakers) is via the side socket as far as I know.

This is why I have a separate pair of speakers, just for the TV Audio, connected to the side socket.

PC Audio is all via my Sound Card to PC Speaker set-up.

Technotiger 17:08 09 Mar 2009

I could be more precise if I had my TV/Monitor Instructions to hand, but I am in the process of moving home so am in a bit of a mess at the moment, with most of my belongings now packed ready for my move next week.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone