surround sound "clicking"

User-9CD7E383-7D1E-4745-A591D7CFE8CB4780 17:01 06 Feb 2008

Hi all.Yesterday while listening to some music on my computer there was a power cut and now there is an itermittent "clicking" nosie coming from the surround sound speakers.Anyone have any ideas?

Technotiger 17:09 06 Feb 2008

Are you sure the noise is coming from the speakers and not the hard-drive? Disconnect speakers and see if noise is still present.

The noise is definetly coming from the speakers,as soon as i reconnected the speakers the clicking started again.

Technotiger 18:02 06 Feb 2008

Well that is good news, I thought it might have been the hard-drive! Is the noise very load? and can you try other speakers, just trying to narrow down to find the source.

Technotiger 18:03 06 Feb 2008

Ooops - loud, not load!

It's loud enough to hear from about 10 feet away if that helps.I only have this set of speakers to use,but the sound is coming from all speakers and not just one.

Technotiger 19:02 06 Feb 2008

Have a look at Power Settings in the Control Panel, see if anything there may have been affected. Check all the Tabs, especially UPS.

Technotiger 19:15 06 Feb 2008

If all appears to be ok in the Power Settings, the next thing to check would be your sound card - with surround sound I guess you do have a sound card, as opposed to just on-board sound.

Could you tell me if i'm looking for anything in particular.In the UPS tab there is a yellow triangle with an ! inside it.It says the UPS service is currently stopped next to it.Any help?

Technotiger 19:25 06 Feb 2008

The yellow triangle is normal, as is the fact that it says UPS Svc is stopped - so nothing out of the ordinary there then.

OK - so do you have a Sound card fitted - if so, make/model?

I thought i would mention that the speakers are working ok.Just the annoying noise in the background.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?