Surfing with mobile ? Antivirus needed

Weskit 11:12 12 Oct 2007

Recently obtained a Nokia 6288 which I find has an add-on to surf the Internet. Should I worry about possible viruses and what to do about it. Nokia suggest a pay-for AV, are there any freebies?

mgmcc 12:39 12 Oct 2007

<<< are there any freebies? >>>

More to the point, are there actually any viruses that could affect that platform?

Normally, the main risk is if you download, for example, an email containing a "Windows" virus and then synchronise emails with the PC so that it becomes infected with a virus where it *could* do some damage. If the PC is properly protected, you shouldn't need AV for the Nokia.

Weskit 15:33 12 Oct 2007

Thanks, sorry for delay in coming back, garden called. Point is, Nokia suggest that when surfing from mobile a virus could be picked up which, among other things, might lead to unknown phone calls out costing one money. Anyone any experience of this?

Weskit 18:43 12 Oct 2007

Does nobody do this?

mammak 19:17 12 Oct 2007

Hi I got Avast for my PDA I wonder if it might be what you need that's if it will work? I will have a look for the link for you and post back OK.

mammak 19:20 12 Oct 2007

click here

Here it is I hope it helps.

mammak 19:26 12 Oct 2007

I also found this.

click here

Weskit 20:57 12 Oct 2007

Thanks, will investigate.

so thats what happened! a warning to all:
i bought a samsung d600 pay as you go phones about 2 years ago, i stopped topping it up because the credit just vanished and i used to get about 20 spam texts on it a day, i blamed orange at the time, but malware on a phone? never concidered that and when i first got it i downloaded loads of free games, this was all before i even had a pc didnt know what malware was. i suppose it got infected

Weskit 10:01 13 Oct 2007

Seems there is some risk. Wonder if PCA have had an item on this, i.e. surfing with a mobile and what to watch out for, or perhaps a future subject..

Weskit 15:43 13 Oct 2007

No further comments?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?