Surfairy

cowgirl66 09:33 13 May 2007

Hi folks, yesterday I ran a scan with a-squared and found a few medium risk threats alongside some tracking cookies, one of which was Surfairy. I quarantined it and thought that would be that as I have done this before. However, I have just been looking at Internet Options > Advanced Tab and was surprised to see Surfairy, with the check box beside it blacked out and under that the option, 'Replace error messages with Surfairy's data.' ticked.

I have never seen this entry in Internet Options Advanced tab before, never mind with the black box beside it, although I guess that's because it's been quarantined. Should I restore Surfairy again?

Regards cowgirl66

Technotiger 09:41 13 May 2007

Hi, you should remove Surfairy completely. You should find Surfairy in your normal Add/Remove in Control Panel. Let us know how you get on with the removel.

cowgirl66 09:47 13 May 2007

Hi Techie,

I'm afraid it isn't in Add/Remove; it was installed along with my Packard Bell software when the machine was bought.

However I can remove it from Smart Restore I believe.

cowgirl66 09:48 13 May 2007

Will get back later,, got to do roast lamb form mother when she comes...:-(

Technotiger 09:51 13 May 2007

OK - which ever way you do it, you should remove it.

If any problems with removing, you could choose one of these methods courtesy of Google ..

click here

Technotiger 09:52 13 May 2007

Don't forget the Mint sauce :-))

cowgirl66 20:28 13 May 2007

Ok, I have now deleted Surfairy from the a-squared quarantine folder and the black box is still beside it in Internet Options > Advanced tab. I tried to remove the tick from letting Surfairy use its own data instead of error messages, and this put my computer in hang mode with the egg timer cursor. So I shut the comptuer down manually by going to Start > Shutdown.

Is it ok to have Surfairy still in Internet Options > Advanced with the black box beside it or not?

woodchip 20:31 13 May 2007

Does it show in MSCONFIG?

Technotiger 20:54 13 May 2007

It is best to get rid of it completely. There are several removal tools in my Google link above.

I use Ad-Aware SE Personal, which would probably also do the job. click here

cowgirl66 21:29 13 May 2007

Hi, I'm having trouble with MSCONFIG too, woodchip but no it doens't show in there. MSCONFIG, by the way, is allowing me to make changes in Startup but when I click on Apply I get the 'Access denied' error message.

Technotiger, I will install AdAware and also maybe SuperAntispyware as I've heard this is a very good too.

I'll get back with the results

Bye for now, cowgirl66

cowgirl66 13:45 14 May 2007

Hi again, I'm back to say I've successfully got rid of Surfairy in Internet Options > Advanced thanks to your help. I downloaded AdAware and SuperAntispyware and between them they found files in my registry and elsewhere. I then had to use Smart Restore to finally rid the computer of the dregs. (God how I hate bundled software on my PC)...

Thanks guys, cowgirl66

p.s. my mother, dear of her, she wanted to know what was up with the computer. When I told her she said, "why doesn't Bill Gates let you know all these problems that can happen befor you buy a computers?.." She just doesn't get the hang of if does she...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?