Surely this is not right. (XP ugragde query)

The Teacher 00:00 27 Sep 2003

I have the chance to upgrade to XP Pro from ME. I have heard of programs that allow you to run compatability checks on your system before uprgrading.

I did a search and found such a program at the Microsoft site. Being Microsoft and therefore "trustworthy" I downloaded the program. When running the program a message appears saying that a net connection is required.

This is not a problem however when I do run the program with a net connection my AV program is disabled.

Surely it cannot be right that a program that requires a net connection disables AV software? I know it is this program because my AV is enabled at all other times, only disabled when this software is run.

Has anyone else come across this and if so how did you deal with it? Or can anyone recommend a program that will let me check compatability without a net connection?

Many Thanks

The Teacher

VoG II 00:03 27 Sep 2003

click here

You can be pretty sure that anything on a Microsoft site is safe. That statement does NOT apply to bogus e-mails with attachments and/or links to websites.

smegs 00:04 27 Sep 2003

If U tell us the spec of Ur Pc, then someone may B able to tell U if it can take Xp or not. If U have ME on it, I can't C a problem.

Djohn 00:07 27 Sep 2003

Not sure on this, but think that the program just checks your modem connection without actually going on-line. This will be to check your modem.

Yes you can use the XP CD itself to run the same compatibility test without doing an install. So if you can borrow a copy you can run the test from that. j.

Djohn 00:08 27 Sep 2003

Must get 4MB :o(

The Teacher 00:08 27 Sep 2003

PC is EMachines ETower 733combi. It has an Intel Celeron Processor, 128MB Ram, 20GB hard drive, 3d graphics card etc..

I can't see there being a problem myself but I have a lot of software on the machine that MUST be compatable as I use it for teaching purposes, creating worsheets, research, using in class etc.. It is no good upgrading if I then have to spend a lot of money on replacing software.

I am aware of the e-mail scam, I recieved one myself a while ago. I contacted MS to ask why they wanted my details as the scam was not widely known then.

The Teacher

VoG II 00:10 27 Sep 2003

The "trick" is to anticipate the question before you start typing. ;o)))

The Teacher 00:10 27 Sep 2003

Sorry VoG, I posted above before I checked your link. That is the site I downloaded the checker from.

The Teacher

VoG II 00:20 27 Sep 2003

The site is perfectly safe. I'm sure there is a good reason for turning off AV. If yout AV has heuristic detection etc. enabled it would pop up alerts when something (like the compatibility program) checked all software and hardware.

The Teacher 23:02 28 Sep 2003

Ran the programme again without the net connection and it has given me a list of what I should upgrade etc., I may not bother as there is a long list, unless it can be done automatically.

Chegs ® 23:51 28 Sep 2003

I ran the checker,it found loads of probs.I upgraded to XP approx 2 years ago and the only hardware that requires a rethink on howto use it is the scanner(but XP has its own driver/scanner wizard,so I just unplug it when not using)and XP can usually be persuaded to co-operate with any software using creators updates,etc.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017