surely it can't be this difficult!?

spook08 11:17 26 May 2008

hi to all ,as you may see on my previous postings i recently bought a (Netgear DG834G 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL Firewall Router) ahead of receiving a new laptop with vista & wi-fi etc on it.

having followed the helpful advice on previous postings(thanks again) i went ahead to install the router on the p.c......only to find that it did not actually have a network card!!:(

So i went ahead with plan B to install the netgear software and router-modem directly on the laptop, and then hopefully remove the ethernet cable to then go wireless.

The problem has been so far that the software is not detecting any DSL connection, i am guessing that this is because there is no connection to be found as it is a brand new laptop, i have tried inputing the broadband log-in details from my supplier(tiscali) but their seems to be a problem with the router or even vista being able to find a connection.

This makes me wonder if it is actually possible to connect a new modem-router to a new laptop without previously having a connection before on the laptop?
But since this is supposed to be a router-modem dsl all in one surely this should be able to make a wired connection?

otherwise would i need to buy a wired modem just to make a connection and then install the netgear?

Any ideas on this? as i find this is getting more complex than it should be!! thanks

Ashrich 13:04 26 May 2008

Don't run any disks that come with the Tiscali broadband , it is better to set things up manually .

Connect the modem/router in the appropriate manner , open a browser window and in the address bar type in 192.168.0.1 and press enter . There will probably be a wizard that will find your internet connection and then having entered the usual admin for the user name and either admin or password for the password , you can then get to the set up pages .

From there you can input your connection details ( user name and password for Tiscali ) have everything set to get their IP and DNS addresses automatically , and click on " connect " . That then , hopefully , will have the modem/router connected to your ISP . Then go to the wireless section and set yourself up some security , preferably WPA and write it down so you have it to hand when connecting with the laptop .

Disconnect the cable from the laptop and enable the wireless connection . Vista will tell you that there are wireless networks available to you , scan for them , select yours , double click on it , enter the WPA key and click on connect , Vista will remember it and do things automatically in future .

Ashley

Forum Editor 13:09 26 May 2008

but like many thinghs it seems less so, once you've done it.

1. Connect the router to the inbound ADSL telephone line via a microfilter.

2. Connect the router to the laptop's Ethernet port, using one of the ethernet ports on the back of the router.

3. Power up the router.

4. Power up the laptop.

5. Follow the router manufacturer's instructions to the letter. You'll launch your laptop's browser and key in an IP address which will display the router's configuration pages.

6. Enter your login details for your broadband service and watch the router's lights as it makes the connection to your broadband service.

7. Check that you can surf the internet.

8. Shut down the router's configuration pages, and disconnect the cable between laptop and router.

9. Turn on the laptop's wireless network adapter - normally there's a small switch somewhere on the side or front of the machine.

10. You'll see a small icon like a TV screen in the system tray (bottom right-hand cornerof your screen). Right click it and select 'Connect to a wireless network'.

11. You should now get a dialogue box showing all wireless networks detected by the laptop's wireless adapter - if you live in a built-up area there'll probably be several. Select yours and click 'Connect'.

12. Within a few moments you should see a 'Connected' message alongside the network name, and you can close the dialogue box - your laptop will automatically connect to the network each time you start it from now on.

13. If you have a wireless adapter in/on your PC you can start from 10. above.

spook08 18:02 26 May 2008

have actually now discovered that the reason the dsl was not working on the router was that the modem cable from the tiscali sagem modem was still in the wall filter causing a block it seems, removed the cable and was then able to connect and set up wireless for the first time!

Just another question on that topic because my pc does not have a network card i had to install the router on the laptop which means i can only use the laptop when the pc is not being used because they have seperate modems and have to take out the pc modem cable from the wall filter each time to connect the router and vica versa.

Do you know of any device that can overcome this? i.e a double filter if there is such a thing? thanks again

setecio 19:43 26 May 2008

Why would you want to do that when you can buy a PCI network card for the desktop for under £10 and then both can share the internet at the same time.

Ashrich 19:45 26 May 2008

A wireless adapter , either USB or PCI would suffice , or you could fit a PCI network card , but if you don't want to open the case then the wireless USB is the way to go , both can use the broadband and no separate modems needed .

Ashley

spook08 20:56 26 May 2008

that pc is quite old and already has some problems like system restore doesn't work, dvd drive doesn't work so not really keen on fitting anything else to it at present, but might consider the usb route suggested.

spook08 20:58 26 May 2008

hi, thanks for the advice -just checking are you refering to a usb dongle/stick device or something else? thanks

Ashrich 01:47 27 May 2008

No , just suggesting a USB wireless dongle , although they normally come in USB 2.0 flavours now , which your PC might not have , although they do still work , they aren't as quick on the uptake as one used in a faster port .

Ashley

spook08 10:30 27 May 2008

thanks for the further info, will look into it. cheers

setecio 12:04 27 May 2008

If your PC is quite old then an ethernet PCI card will put alot less strain than a USB dongle as USB requires the computer to work more.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

11 best portfolio websites for designers and artists

Office for Mac buying guide: Price, Office 2017 rumours & new features

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?