Superfast Broadband snail pace Wifi

Salamander7 21:14 10 Jun 2015

I have a Toshiba laptop Windows 8.1 with a Qualcom Atheros AR 956x Wifi card. I had Fibre Optic Broadband up to 40mbps and the laptop got around 3Ombps. I have now got Superfast Fibre optic of up to 75mbps but the laptop Wifi can barely mange 15. So I get faster broadband but the laptop has got slower. Is there a setting that needs changing? I get the full 75 on my desktop computer attached by cable to the LAN. I also have another Laptop which achieves around 50mbps so I know it is not my router which is provided bt BT. Any ideas?

Salamander7 12:37 11 Jun 2015

Anyone? I am desperate!!

onthelimit1 12:45 11 Jun 2015

It's odd that the other laptop is OK, as I was suspecting a change of wireless channel might have helped. My next step would be to try a different wireless card or a USB dongle. I have had problems with Atheros cards in the past.

mole1944 14:24 11 Jun 2015

Download wi-fi analyzer to your smartphone this will show your channel our on and i suspect others are on the same/similar channel,this gives you co-channel interference so move to a different channel.It's like trying to listen to a conversation in a room full of people difficult,move to an empty room and presto you can hear clearly the conversation.

Salamander7 15:07 11 Jun 2015

Thanks folks. So when my Broadband speed increased the WiFi channel was changed automatically? I have now noticed my laptop now uploads quicker than it downloads! It just seems strange the laptop WiFi worked fairly well on a 45mbps but cant cope with 75.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?