SuperAntiSpyware

Sapins 22:20 07 Jul 2007

I have just installed and run this programme which was recommended on the forum, I can't remember which thread though, and It has found 3 entries for a Trojan, 2 of which are M:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\1SCENICHP.EXE and M:\\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\1SCENICID.EXE, the Trojan is named Win32:Trojan_gen(VC) the third one I did not note down.

Can anyone tell me why this programme should find this Trojan when Avast, Windows Defender, Spybot Search and Destroy and SpywareBlaster did not?

My wife and I pride ourselves on keeping a clean system, we do not visit any dodgy sites and we never open any e-mails of which we are not certain of the integrity of the sender.

I am suspicious of the integrity of SuperAntiSpyware as it is the free version I have used, are they trying to scare me into buying the "superior" professional version?

ambra4 22:33 07 Jul 2007

differance anti virus will not all virus some will only find malware, adware, or spyware so the more you run the better

I use Xsoftspy SE, e-squared, Ad-Aware SE Personal, SpywareBlaster, Super AntiSpyware and Symantec AntiVirus

Stuartli 22:50 07 Jul 2007

You have no need to be "suspicious" of SUPERAntispyware - it is merely doing its job.

For the last few years for instance many people, including me, have had both S and D and Ad-Aware installed because one would often find something that the other didn't.

However, it is easy to become paranoid and have too many antispyware programs on a system - it's more important to regularly update the ones you select.

Avast! apart from being an excellent AV utility, updates itself automatically and provides verbal and written notice that it has done so.

Input Overload 22:51 07 Jul 2007

I don't have those files on my Pc, I really don't think that SuperAntiSpyware use false finds to get you to get the paid for version. They could just be false positives.

VoG II 23:00 07 Jul 2007

1SCENICID.EXE click here

1SCENICHP.EXE - not sure.

rdave13 23:13 07 Jul 2007

Paid for superantispyware licence three months ago under a special offer of £15. This gave me a licence to run on two PC's and auto updates for the life of the program. Impressed as I'm usually sceptic of antispyware programs. Good scanner and suggest you go to site now and again to see if the offer is repeated. Otherwise just use the free version, update and run a manual scan. It will delete when you reboot or give the option to quarantine.

p;3 08:06 08 Jul 2007

click here

it was given to me to use to clean up a badly heavily infected comp ; seeing how well it DID work I then put ot on my own comp; am so far impressed with it; as others say , each program can pick up and screan for different things; have you run this one on a full deep scan and fully updated it?
and you do NOT have to buy it;
aLso try

click here spybot

click here

on full deep scans and see what they find

I might also suggest adaware 2007 BUT from reading elsewhere to run IT seems to create problems

see what all the scans produce; ALL are safe programs though a2 may throw up false possitives; let us know how you get on?

€dstowe 08:16 08 Jul 2007

I've used SuperAntiSpyware Free and some other A/S programs for a long time now.

It has found quite a number of nasties and has removed quarantined them. It has never asked me to upgrade to a paid for version (neither have any of the others) to allow it to do its job properly.

I know some of the less trustworthy A/S programs do ask for money but this isn't one of them.

Sapins 09:31 08 Jul 2007

Thanks for all your replies, I will run full scans and post the results.

SAS also advised unplugging the network cable so I suppose I will have to run the scans on my laptop as well, I presume I can run both at the same time?

Also, where does this Trojan come from, and what does it do, I get no results from a Google search.

sunny staines 10:17 08 Jul 2007

i have used to to clean up spyware on peoples pc's that other free antispyware software could not fix. i consider it first class not had a false positive with it yet though.

Sapins 11:01 08 Jul 2007

I have just finished the scans and only some tracking cookies, which I deleted, were found by SAS, (I like the thought of the SAS going in to clear out Trojans!).

I have also discovered that the virus alerts were coming from Avast, don't know how I missed that:-( but I don't know if they were in incoming e-mails or they were on the system.

Spybot Search and Destroy found nothing on the desktop or the laptop, as did Windows defender. So, apart from the tracking cookies it appears there were no other problems on the systems.

I have also just had a "one day offer" to upgrade SAS for $19.99 so I think I will take this up.

Can I just say thank you again to all of you, It is very much appreciated, I must admit I did panic a bit initially, but, having calmed down and ran the scans carefully and recording all the results I think everything is OK.

Regards,

Sapins.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?