Suddenly unable to access secure sites!

Templar1961 20:13 06 Oct 2005

I find I am suddenly unable to access any secure sites!

Can't log on to my bank accounts, ebay, and other secure sites?

Any ideas? Thanks.

MAJ 20:26 06 Oct 2005

Do the usual spyware scans with Adawre, Spybot S&D and A-Squared, try a System restore to a date prior to the problem occurring (last resort). Also have a read at this click here, Templar1961.

Templar1961 20:32 06 Oct 2005

Ran Microsoft Antispyware and Norton AntiVirus -nothing found!

click here links to blank page?

Templar1961 20:56 06 Oct 2005

Could Microsoft Antispyware be responsible for this?

I loked at the Tracks Eraser feature last night -but I did not INTENTIONALLY Erase any tracks?

octal 06:54 07 Oct 2005

Have you tried switching off the firewall? This is a good site to test https if its being blocked click here if you notice all secure sites start with https which is port 443 and if your firewall has started being a bit aggresive it might be blocking it.

mgmcc 09:13 07 Oct 2005

An incorrect MTU (Maximum Transmission Unit) setting in the registry can often cause problems accessing secure sites.

Have a look at "Cybertweak" click here which will configure various settings, depending on the type of internet connection - LAN, Cable, ADSL, Dialup.

If using a router, the MTU settings are:

ADSL - 1492; Cable - 1500

AOL, as usual, is a law unto itself and uses an MTU setting of 1400 or 1450

Templar1961 12:00 08 Oct 2005

The Firewall was the cause of the problem. Somehow I had both NIS and Windows firewalls enabled. Norton seems to have had stability problems since I added a second user account.

To fix my problem I have disabled NIS firewall and am running Windows firewall on its own, although I would prefer the NIS firewall. I may try the NIS firewall on its own later.

Thanks for all your responses!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires