Suddenly TP-Link TD-W8960N router/modem not connecting to internet

PuterNewb 17:00 21 Mar 2014

Hi All, Please accept apologies in advance for being a comlete puternube! We recently upgraded our modem to a combined router/modem so that we can have wireless access and get online using a Kindle. Initial set up was fine and everything worked ok until unplugging the router for a couple of days to decorate. Now the router won't allow any internet access and we've had to go back to the old hardwired modem. A brief idea of what's happening is as follows: Running system: Windows XP Router: TP-Link TD-W8960N Remedies already attempted: Fiddling about :-0 lol, Power Cycling, Scratching Head..lol. :-D Phoning a Friend. No solution discovered. Things I've noticed that may be of help, but please don't laugh at my ignorance: I can see that packets are being sent and received. The Kindle shows a full wifi signal, but there's a small cross at the side of the signal indicator and it will not access the internet. Windows says it is connected to the internet but you cannot bring up any web pages or even google. I'm happy to try my very best to resolve this as directed if anyone can figure out what's wrong but please do be gentle with me as this is all very confusing and I haven't a clue. :-) Lots of thanks in advance!

Secret-Squirrel 09:13 22 Mar 2014

What's the status of the TP-Link's ADSL light (on, off, flashing)?

sammojk 21:33 11 May 2014

I have the exact same router / problem - all the symptoms are the same as above. Did you find a solution?

The ADSL and internet lights are steady green. Websites work for about 1-2 minutes then it all goes. Not a single page will load from any device, but Skype still works and if speedtest.net is open it continues to allow speed tests (and I get 7 MBPS).

So I know data can be transferred by no site works at all after the initial turning on / reset of the modem.

Can anyone help?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?