Suddenly slow PC

Throbber 18:22 13 Sep 2006

My PC has suddenly slowed right down on startup.
I'm running with Intel Celeron 3.06Ghz processor, 1GB of memory, Windows XP Home SP2. Today it ws so slow I checked Windows Task Manager, and sure enough CP usage was reported as 100%. The main culprit at 98% was svchost.exe. What is this, and do I need it? It settled down after 5 minutes or so.

1minute 18:26 13 Sep 2006

Taken from googling your problem, more @ click here

Description:
svchost.exe is a system process belonging to the Microsoft Windows Operating System which handles processes executed from DLLs. This program is important for the stable and secure running of your computer and should not be terminated.

Note: svchost.exe is a process registered as a backdoor vulnerability which may be installed for malicious purposes by an attacker allowing access to your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. If unaccounted for, this process should be removed immediately.

Note: svchost.exe is a process which is registered as a trojan. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer from remote locations, stealing passwords, Internet banking and personal data. This process is a security risk and should be removed from your system.

Note: svchost.exe is a process belonging to Microsoft Service Host Process. This program is a non-essential process, but should not be terminated unless suspected to be causing problems.

Determining whether this process is a virus or a legitimate Windows process depends on the

Brian2001 18:27 13 Sep 2006

Have you thought of checking for viruses/spyware?

1minute 18:32 13 Sep 2006

I suggest you instal CCleaner from click here and also Spybot Search & Destroy from click here
And also Ad-Aware [free version] from here click here

Run CCleaner, then Ad-Aware and lastly Spybot.
Good luck

Throbber 19:25 13 Sep 2006

Thanks to all for advice. I suspect there is nothing seriously wrong, as I have now run CCleaner, Adaware and Spybot with nothing returned. I just wondered, as this has not happened before.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?