Suddenly no email on laptop.

cocteau48 17:47 02 Oct 2009

On the XP Desktop both Email and Internet working as normal.
This is connected wirelessly to my Vista laptop where both email and internet have been working as normal.

Twice in the past week the email connection on the laptop has thrown up a "connection was refused" pop-up. When this happens both email and internet on the desktop are still working and the internet on the laptop is also still OK.

It happens in both Thunderbird and Outlook Express so it is not the email client at fault.
I have also taken screen grabs of all the account settings when things are working OK and compared them to the same when the system goes down and nothing is altered.

On both occasions I have been unable to restore the service and have had to resort to an Acronis restore to get the email working again.

I use Pop-Peeper as an email notifier (used it for a couple of years on both machines without a hitch)which checks the mail on the server every 5 minutes so I know,as soon as the exclamation mark appears on the Pop-Peeper icon in the task bar, that the connection has failed within 5 minutes of it happening ..... and it just happens out of the blue.

The only thing which I can think of which may be happening just prior to the drop out of the service is a Comodo Firewall update.

Could this be the cause or has anyone got any other ideas?

BTW: MBAM A Squared and Superantispyware are all coming up clean.

ArrGee 21:58 02 Oct 2009

Are you logged on to your email accounts on both machines when this happens?

cocteau48 07:52 03 Oct 2009

"Are you logged on to your email accounts on both machines when this happens?"

Yes - and always have been.

I think I may try without Pop-Peeper installed on the laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone