Suddenly everything is very slow indeed

Diemmess 18:01 04 Aug 2006

Never imagined seeking advice for this reason

System - Win 2000, 1200 Duron, 1G RAM>

Everything normal, no changes of any sort in last few days.

Quite suddenly after a period away from keyboard the whole system has slowed up dramatically.
It allows typing as I am doing this.... normally, but opening and closing apps or getting any result from the Desktop takes so long that I have given up before there is any result.

Have "Restored" a 10 day old "Image" the process using HyperOs and a different partition was rapid as always, but the restored system still has treakle feet.

This makes me think there is a hardware fault somewhere but what?
During boot-up the RAM checks out normally and all files on two HDs are accesible with much patience.

No error messages, screen appearance is normal, and my best thermometer, (the flat of my hand) says - coolish.

AVG and ZA are up to date and nothing new has appeared at startup

Diemmess 18:02 04 Aug 2006

PS this post posted quickly but opening the PCA forum was very slow.

jimv7 18:10 04 Aug 2006

could be hard drive slowing down.

Diemmess 18:17 04 Aug 2006

Well, that's one suggestion, but how do I check it?
If it is indeed slowing, "the end is nigh," but fitting new one just to check, is expensive and tedious. I thought they either behaved or became corrupt or didn't run up at all?

ade.h 18:44 04 Aug 2006

"I thought they either behaved or became corrupt or didn't run up at all?"

So too did I, to be honest. But you can usually find disk analysis software on each manufacturer's website if you want to check them.

ade.h 18:46 04 Aug 2006

Ooh, a thought. Does Win2k's Task Manager have the same CPU/memory usage readouts that XP has?

Might indicate where the bottleneck is, or at least isn't.

Diemmess 19:37 04 Aug 2006

ade.h to the rescue? Becoming difficult to type now.

Yes I found Task Manager and the performance tab.
Mem usage was only 223K

CPU usage was 100% !!!

In another corner Physical mem 1048048
available 751K
system cache 380896

With only BB Internet in use and no other major applications at present loaded, only AVG and ZA, 100% CPU usage must signal something?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:50 04 Aug 2006

a) Clear out all temporay files and folders -- use Crap Cleaner click here

b) Scan for malware spyware and viruses --Free Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
a2 click here
MSoftAntispy Beta click here
Ewido click here

Free Antivirus software
Avast4 click here
or
AVG antivirus click here

c) Clean the registry -- Free Registry cleaners :-
RegscrubXP click here
Regseeker click here
TweakNow RegCleaner 1.3.2 click here
Easycleaner click here ( Use with care, It advises you to back up the registry first, this is a good idea as it cleans rather aggressively. )

d) Pagefile (Virtual Memory) -- Rght click MY Computer - select propeties - Advanced tab - Performance - advanced tab - Virtual memory click change, you can put the page file on a differnt drive (if you have one), click custom size and set Initial size to one and a half times the amount of memory you have fitted i.e. 512MB memory = set to 768MB, set maximum to double your memory amount i.e. 512MB memory = 1024MB click ok.
If your hard drive is full and there is not enough room for the pagefile this can slow down, freeze or even cause the PC to crash (restart).

e) Check on the programs that load at startup -- Start - Run type msconfig - startup tab- untick everything except for firewall, antivirus and antispyware

f) Check for errors and defrag your hard drives -- My Computer - select drive - properties - tool tab - Error checking / Defragmentation.

g) Check your memory with either click here or
click here

Diemmess 19:59 04 Aug 2006

Thank you for that list of things to do....
Most of them I do regularly or have done in the past week.
Memory tests I will try later,
Meanwhile............
Booting as far as Desktop is at normal rate, it is when I try to open an application that it goes so slowly.

I have a valid Hard Disk which was displaced last winter when I said goodbye to 98SE.

Both run with HyperOs and I used 2000 exclusively on the current Primary HD but didn't want to meddle with what was working and have no go-back.
I will shortly shut down and try that HD.
I shall of course be offline fo a while, but it should prove whether or not this is a HD problem at all.

Diemmess 20:50 04 Aug 2006

Am running from the disused HD, which was fairly old when I took it out of service ............

My Computer opens at once
MSConfig almost at once
Windows Task Manager (performance) shows CPU virtually at rest (1%)
Word opens normally.
This famous website answers normally.
AVG was months out of date, but updated over 5Mb at a good speed.

So In spite of disbelief it would seem the Primary HD 'IS' running slowly!

Defragged a few days ago and having had to shut down this afternoon by holding down the power button, not unnaturally insisted on a scandisk afterwards with no errors signalled.

Can someone explain 100% usage by the CPU with the 'normal' HD?
It there a software approach to make sure the HD is free of software errors?
My fears that the CPU itself might be going off are unfounded?
Is it sensible to replace the normal HD with a brand new one?

sunny staines 20:55 04 Aug 2006

do you have a memtest floppy to run a ram test could be your ram is on the way out. memtest86 is a free download from
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?