suddenly can't find wireless networks

zis one 14:15 15 Aug 2007

HI- i am getting desperate here and really need some help.
i got a Dell Laptop - windows XP - been working fine with all sorts and wireless networks for 2 years. now it suddenly doesn't pick up any wireless networks anymore. I don;t think there is any button to switch the wireless function on - or it is very very well hidden. i know the networks are there because the other laptop pics it up. the Network adapter is enabled. the wireless zero configuration is started. the name of the Network adaptor is Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection and according to the device manager working fine.
i saw in some other forums something about SSID (?) - but i have no idea what that is....

can anyone help? i am an internet junky and need some advice!

zis one 14:16 15 Aug 2007

i have also tried it with all firewall settings switched off... no difference.

zis one 14:21 15 Aug 2007

also -
i got a netgear router at home - provided by sky - and even if i plug the laptop directly into the router it doesn't connect to the internet......

help!!!! please!! just don;t know what else to do.

simmo07 15:01 15 Aug 2007

SSID is the name of the networks.

1)not much of an expert with these, maybe its your network card faulty?

2)wait for someone more experienced

3)click here=

4)try and do a system restore before it went off see if that helps.

Clapton is God 15:07 15 Aug 2007

Do you have any other connections such as a BB modem or 1394 networking connection currently enabled?

If so, these may be overriding the wireless connection's ability to 'hunt' for networks.

zis one 18:50 15 Aug 2007

You wouldn't believe it. i was laughing to myself reading in one of those forums that it was merely switched off.... Doh! didn;t know the trick with the Fn + F2 so thank you very much simmo07 for pointing me to the other forum where i found it.

right in front of my nose.....

thanks for your help - all the best
zis one

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?