Sudden loss of sound - very puzzling...

Maughan 13:33 23 Jan 2003
  Maughan 13:33 23 Jan 2003

I have a fairly new (~3 months old) MultiVision PC with the following relevant components:

Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon 2200+
Videologic 5.1 surround sound speakers (ZXR 500)
Avance AC97 Audio for VIA (R) Audio Controller

My sound was running fine - in fact it was excellent - until suddenly the sound stopped coming from 3 of the 6 speakers. All I have now is sound from the 2 front speakers and from the subwoofer.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the sound card drivers but without any improvement.

The VERY ODD thing is that ALL the speakers work just fine when I run the speaker test in the "AC97 Audio Configuration" window. (And yes, I have set the configuration to 6 channel/5.1 sound.) (And yes, all the volume controls are set right.)

This is driving me mad!! What might be the problem, please?

Thanks in advance...

Maughan

jazzypop 14:00 23 Jan 2003

Check in Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > Speaker Settings > Advanced > Speakers that you have 5.1 speakers enabled there.

It is not unusual for this setting to be reset to stereo, often by badly-written games.

Maughan 14:08 23 Jan 2003

Will try as you suggest this evening but I am fairly sure I have tried that already.

Although now you mention badly-written games, I have had my doubts about UbiSoft's Scrabble 2003 (which fails to load 9 times out of 10). I did get the game about the time the sound went pear-shaped. And, I managed to get the sound back 2 nights ago (somehow but then used the Scrabble disc and the next day the sound had gone again. There are so many other combinations of other software that may be at fault but maybe there is a link there...

But why would all the speakers work just fine on speaker test?

Maughan

jazzypop 14:14 23 Jan 2003

I don't know how the 'AC97 Audio Configuration' program works - perhaps it bypasses the standard Windows addressing method in some way, as it is a diagnostic program? (I use the Audigy, which has a similar test facility.)

I do think that unloading SCrabble for a few days will be a useful thing to do. You might also want to see if UbiSoft have released any patches to address this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?