Sudden loss of address book in Outlook

john bunyan 13:11 22 Aug 2014
Answered

I use Outlook 2007 as email client with W7. My "Outlook" folder is on my Data partition, and I make frequent mirror image copies of all my data partition to another drive.

Today, as far as I know without me doing anything, when I tried to use my address book to add a person to the "To" box, my address book was empty!. It took a bit if fiddling but I found in the left column under "contacts" there was an archive contact folder that I was able to copy to the normal contact folder, so I think all is well. However it is a mystery how it happened _ could it be my Malawarebytes pro, or Avast? Also , although I do back up the Outlook folder I really have no idea how to use the back up if needed! The files therein are "Archive" or .pst but if needed how do you use them? Anyone else encountered the sudden address book loss?

john bunyan 19:10 22 Aug 2014

I assume mine was an isolated case?

Woolwell 19:38 22 Aug 2014
Answer

Do you use iCloud? You may find that you have an iCloud contacts folder with all of your contacts in it.

I back up each individual folder eg calendar and contacts. You use File Import/Export files. You can export your contacts to a pst or csv file and use the same procedure to import them. I've move to Outlook 2013 so hope my memory is correct that it is under file.

john bunyan 20:58 22 Aug 2014

Woolwell

I do use iCloud but have not configured contacts in that. Fortunately, there was an archive contacts folder , the contents of which I copied and pasted into the true contacts folder. It is one of those unsolved events.

I thought that by making a copy of the whole outlook folder I could find the address book, but I could not. I will in future do as you suggest

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017