sudden intermittent noise from pc

flaming 19:06 25 Dec 2007

My HP PC/Computer Windows XP media player has operated absolutely silently since I bought it for home use in Jan.05. It gets an easy life with me. A couple of weeks ago there was a intermittent noise from it, like an electric kettle being on - maybe a fan in the computer? There was no noise for a fortnight but today it started again, so I turned the PC right off briefly. I was working on an e mail when the noise started today and noticed that the cursor was shaky. Any ideas please? Ans what will it need? I am under a 3 year extended warranty which will wery soon run out.

Technotiger 19:11 25 Dec 2007

Sounds like possibly a loose fan. Can you remove side and carefully check condition of fans - or could be something as simple as fluff or similar in a fan - when was interior last cleared of dust/fluff?

Before going inside, earth yourself by touching a metal part of casing.

flaming 19:26 25 Dec 2007

Thanks, Technotiger.
I should have said I am a female silver surfer fairly new to PCs, the tech.side being beyond me. I haven't the faintest idea how to get the side off! It could be dust upsetting a fan but wouldn't it be a continuous noise. Why did it stop for a time? Why has the brief turn off of the PC today make the noise stop? I don't want to make anthing worse. There's about half an hour's work of moving stuff to get at the tower, so I will have to try what you say in a day or two so I won't clik the 'Resolve' button yet.

Technotiger 19:38 25 Dec 2007

Since Jan 05, plenty of time to accumulate a little dust/fluff, and yes that could cause intermittent odd noises as and when fans start/stop.

I understand your position, I am also a Silver Surfer - anyway, welcome to the best Forum on the Internet.

Have you not got a friend who could look at it for you - even a non-techie, we could give directions.

Anyway, I have no doubt other members will come and add their advise, so on here you are not alone!

Does everything run fine, in spite of the occasional noises?

flaming 20:20 25 Dec 2007

Technotiger - The "egg cup" sign by the pointer had been evident for some time. However all really was OK but it worried me today seeing the curser being shaky whilst doing the e mail composition. The Tech Guys did the annual PC health check a few months ago but the engineer didn't touch the tower. The year before, on the free health check, the engineer did take off the side and squirt some cleaner gunk in. That's all I know. What I was concerned about was that it was more than just a fan.

Technotiger 20:34 25 Dec 2007

By 'egg cup' do you mean Hour-glass like egg-timer? The hour-glass is a sign that writing/reading is taking place with the hard drive - or in other words, a sign that the hard drive is 'busy'.

What type of mouse do you have? If it is one with a ball underneath, the shaking cursor could mean that the mouse itself needs cleaning.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?