Substandard picture on "Full Screen"

heavymetalkid 23:18 30 Aug 2006

I've just been on the BBC Website which offers repeats of their TV programmes. In each and every case the programme plays back in a ridiculously small screen, no bigger than a small matchbox. When I play it in "Full Screen" mode, the picture then loses a great deal of clarity and detail. I have a top of the range Evesham machine and I find myself watching either a smaller picture tham my grandparents would have,in the 1950s, or a larger screen but a lousy picture. Can anyone advise please?

johnnyrocker 23:22 30 Aug 2006

what player are you using and what spec is the machine ( apart from top of the range )

johnny,

heavymetalkid 23:30 30 Aug 2006

Greetings Johnny and thanks for a rapid response. What's the easiest way to get an on-screen Spec readout?

johnnyrocker 23:36 30 Aug 2006

click here

johnny.

DieSse 23:36 30 Aug 2006

The picture is transmitted heavily compressed, and at low resolution - hence when you expand it to full screen it's generally pretty dire. That's perfectly normal.

Broadcast pictures have a dbandwidth many times higher than a broadband link - and remeber they also have to allow for the fact that many BBconnections will be slower than others - and subject to tranmission delays.

What you're looking for isn't here yet - it may maybe some day, but not yet.

DieSse 23:39 30 Aug 2006

PS - just a few years ago, even what you get now would have been totally impossible.

heavymetalkid 23:44 30 Aug 2006

Johnny...be there in a minute. DieSse, thanks pal....are we seriously expected to try and watch a TV picture on a screen 3 inches by 1inch?

Stuartli 23:50 30 Aug 2006

Have you checked that the BBC website has recognised your media player and connection speed?

DieSse 23:58 30 Aug 2006

*a screen 3 inches by 1inch?*

You should be able to make it some intermediate size - a compromise between size and quality.

Mind you - I just tried and can't even get a connection to the servers!

heavymetalkid 23:58 30 Aug 2006

Hi Stuartli...no not checked that,didn't know I had to. How do I check? Johnny-from my handbook..Intel 915p chipset motherboard. 1GB LAN. 1GBDDR2 533.250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive 8MB Buffer. 256MB ATI RADEON X800GT PCI Express Graphics. DVD ROM 16x DRIVE. Is that enough?

Stuartli 00:13 31 Aug 2006

When you open a video link (say a comedy programme) there's a Settings button at the bottom of the page which appears.

There's normally also the opportunity to open the link in the Real StandAlone Player | Full Screen.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?