subject in email link

lazanda 08:45 23 Jun 2006

On some email links you click on a website (like to request a brochure or similar) it automatically fills in the subject of the email box. Can anyone tell me how to do this?

Thanks all

Paul.

Eric10 11:22 23 Jun 2006

Try this link click here

ade.h 17:30 23 Jun 2006

Eric has answered your question, but would you consider using a form instead? More professional-looking and you will avoid the pesky spam bots. As I have found recently, it's not (quite) as difficult as it first appears.

PurplePenny 20:39 23 Jun 2006

Some people (and I'm one of them) prefer e-mail to contact forms because then you have a copy of your message. I've also had too many instances of contact forms never being answered and I have no idea whether it is because the message never arrived or the recipient couldn't be bothered.

ade.h 21:01 23 Jun 2006

If they've coded their PHP correctly (let's assume that other people do what I have been doing recently - that is; test it thoroughly) then they'll get the message. As an added backup, I include some alternative contact detail on my success page: "If you do not receive a timely reply, please phone..."

As for copies, PHP can easily send a copy to the sender if you want it to.

lazanda 12:05 25 Jun 2006

Works a treat.

Paul.

PurplePenny 23:11 25 Jun 2006

"As for copies, PHP can easily send a copy to the sender if you want it to."

But that doesn't help me when I'm filling in a form because to date I've never come across one that has been coded that way: I have never received a copy of the message that I've sent. The only way around it is to copy the message into notepad and save it that way but I don't see why I, as the user, should have to do that.

ade.h 16:14 26 Jun 2006

You shouldn't, Penny. It's up to the site designer to place a checkbox for receiving a copy of your message. If I can work out how to do that after just a couple of weeks spent learning PHP, then I would expect any good web designer to be able to do it if they thought about the need for it.

harristweed 10:14 27 Jun 2006

Normally when I design a form, on submission, I generate an 'on screen' thank you, along with an acknowledgement email to the client. I also save the all the information gathered in a database. Then there is no danger of losing any anything. The additional benefit is that the responders email address it stored for future mailings...(not spam... mailings).

ade.h 15:21 27 Jun 2006

I like your idea of an acknowledgement e-mail, harristweed. For simplicity (on my part) I make use of auto-resonders where possible. Two out of my three webspace providers include auto-responders, but one does not, so your method could be useful to me. Off to do some searching...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?