Sub routines in excel

Desert Andy 14:50 19 Jan 2010

I'm planning to write a large program in Excel. I wish to use a sub-routine that will be used in many of the different worksheets. Is there any way of accessing the same sub routine from many different worksheets, thus saving a lot of extra code?

Thanks

howard64 15:00 19 Jan 2010

you could write a macro

VoG II 15:05 19 Jan 2010

Not sure what you mean - a Subroutine should be accessible from any worksheet. Or do you mean work*books* ?

If the latter click here

Desert Andy 15:48 19 Jan 2010

Sorry, didn't make myself completely clear. I would like to write a subroutine in say Sheet1, and then access that subroutine from Sheet2. Is that possible?

Thanks

OTT_B 16:23 19 Jan 2010

Reading your post, i get the impression you are talking about creating a worksheet formula (i.e. a formula in a cell). You then want to use that formula in another place in the workbook without having to retype it.

Is that correct?

VoG II 16:30 19 Jan 2010

Subroutines should go in general modules, not worksheet code modules.

Desert Andy 18:39 19 Jan 2010

Thank you. How do I set up say a subroutine, to ask a persons name using a button in sheet 1 and sheet2. How do a write/label a subroutine in a generel module to access from any worksheet. Many thanks for your help.

VoG II 18:46 19 Jan 2010

For the button code on both sheets you could use

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Call EnterName
End Sub

Then in a regular module something like

Sub EnterName()
Range("A1").Value = InputBox("Enter your name")
End Sub

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?