Stuttering and skipping souns in Win Xp SP2

SOFTWARE SID 23:46 02 Aug 2007

I'm running Win XP SP2 on my year old desktop, using Realtek High Definition sound. About 3 weeks ago, I started suffering from stuttering and skipping on sound. This is not specific to any one file format or media player, indeed system souynds have been showing the same symptoms. There may be a link between CPU activity and these glitches, but I am by no means certain.

So far, I've tried defragmenting C drive, checking for spyware - with Adaware, Spybot and Superantispyware, doing a full vurus scan with Avast, updating my drivers, double checking Windows Update - no joy.

Anything else I ought to try? All suggestions happily received! Thanks..

Giggle n' Bits 00:27 03 Aug 2007

maybe been slower or slow boot to windows desktop?

Check Microsoft windows updates if there is any newer driver for Audio, is it onboard audio or dedicated sound card. Also what audio are u playing, from CD or stored on pc

SOFTWARE SID 21:07 03 Aug 2007

Thanks Dusty,

It's onboard sound from an Asus P5LD2 Deluxe motherboard. I've checked for driver updates etc. Indeed I've installed the latest, then reveerted to the old drivers from the installation cd, and back again, with no joy. I've noticed the problem of stuttering and jumping is greatest when I do things like download emails, hence my fear that the problem's quite deeep seated. Any thoughts?

johnnyrocker 23:05 03 Aug 2007

how much memory do you have and the downloading mail is a clue.

johnny.

SOFTWARE SID 23:08 03 Aug 2007

Thanks for your response Johnny. I have 1 gig of memory.

johnnyrocker 23:13 03 Aug 2007

any other progs running in background? memory clearly is not the prob.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 23:16 03 Aug 2007

when this happens have you checked task manager to see what might be using a lot of resource?

johnny.

SOFTWARE SID 23:38 03 Aug 2007

Hi Johnny, Will keep an eye on Task manager and see if any patterns emerge. Been trying to recreate the problem over the last few mins, and got moderate glitches in sound when I opened Firefox, and severe trouble when I launched Cyberlink Power Cinema. Also, I can be sat around, listening to music or a podcast, and get the same trouble, so there's clearly something going on nthere the PC isn't coping well with.

johnnyrocker 23:44 03 Aug 2007

very true best bet might be to run iton it's own as a starter and if ok then try adding other progs till you find the error?

johnny.

SOFTWARE SID 23:47 03 Aug 2007

I will try that tomorrow and see if it reveals anything. Oddly, I'm not playing any media file now, just running MSN messenger in the background, and when I got notification of your posting, the two note jingle was stuttery...

Thanks for help so far

SOFTWARE SID 20:58 22 Sep 2007

I asked a techie friend to help too, and we both came up empty.

In the end, we reverted back to a saved version of the 'C' drive from before the problem started, and reinstalled it with Acronis True Image.

Problem free so far!

Thanks for feedback. Best wishes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?