stumped with my laptop fault HPG61

spencer969 21:19 20 Aug 2012

hey, ive had many problems with my HP G61-110SA laptop.

initially my battery pack would not charge so i changed that.

Then after no longer than a couple of weeks my laptop would only charge whilst powered down.

now it will only charge to 10% or so when not on and will only hold that amount of charge for a couple of minutes so i have no idea where to turn next.

does anybody have any suggestions??

northumbria61 22:06 20 Aug 2012

initially my battery pack would not charge so i changed that. Are you saying you changed the battery or changed the power adaptor?

Do you use your laptop while it is plugged in to the mains charger a lot? This can be a sure fire way of killing your battery.

If it doesn't charge then it's the battery. If it does charge the charging circuit in your laptop may be damaged. There is usually a specific diode that blows (Happens a lot in digital cameras too) which will stop the battery charging fully.

northumbria61 22:08 20 Aug 2012

A guide to Battery Care - enter link description here

spencer969 18:39 21 Aug 2012

Are you saying you changed the battery or changed the power adaptor?

i have changed both my battery and battery pack

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:19 21 Aug 2012
  1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

Hopefully this will clear static from the motherboard and your battery may now recharge.

Grizzly24 21:18 21 Aug 2012

I dont know if this would be any help but does your bios offer a option to re calibrate the battery i think its called Smart battery calibration or something it helped me before when my battery would stop charging at around 60%

spencer969 18:20 22 Aug 2012

i have tried the 30second trick with no luck. when i have my power lead in and the laptop is off i have a light on the front meaning its charging, and the light on the side to recognise the power leads in. but when i turn it on the charging light on the front goes on then just starts flashing slowly

spencer969 18:20 22 Aug 2012

i have tried the 30second trick with no luck. when i have my power lead in and the laptop is off i have a light on the front meaning its charging, and the light on the side to recognise the power leads in. but when i turn it on the charging light on the front goes on then just starts flashing slowly

rdave13 18:52 22 Aug 2012

If Vista then have a look at this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cachés sur Mac ?